Chapter 11

What was there instead? A glass box that occupied most of the interior of the cupboard, rounded at the corners, with an oval hole big enough for someone to climb in or out of set into the side. There was a chair – a simple office chair, one of those fancy French designs – set inside it. And around it, there was a grey buzzing, that could be both heard and seen. It was a... blurriness, at the edge, between the glass, and the external walls around it, belonging to the cupboard.

It might have been the freakiest goddamn thing he'd ever seen. And he'd spent many years hanging out with Millie, which tended to mean that anyone with that habit saw an awful lot of odd things, over a period of time.

Well, with that said, for obvious reasons he perhaps wasn't quite as freaked out as anyone with a less unconventional great-aunt might have been. Maybe a little bit phased, that's as much as he would have admitted to.  He stood a little behind her, and eyed the damned thing cautiously, rubbing his chin ruefully.  Because damn it, Millie had thrown him a total curveball, yet again. The obvious thing to do might have seemed to be an enquiry about what the hell she was up to this time. But he was almost afraid to ask. And besides, just standing there and speculating was still an improvement, on having Michael be the only thing taking up space in his head.

But he did ask, though, because who could not? And Millie quite clearly wasn't going to volunteer up the information of her own accord. She was too busy enjoying herself, grinning at him manically and hugging herself with about the same amount of glee as a six-year old girl who was enjoying having a secret. With most folks it would make anyone inclined to torture them, by failing to ask the obvious.