Chapter 22

Not with the burst of speed Ben put on, anyhow, not with the urgency he was feeling to get the hell out of there.  Out, just out, just anywhere that he didn't have to deal with Millie and her damn contraptions, and the past.

The past, especially.

And now, now he was bang slap in the middle of the towniest part of the town.  And in Cambridge, that meant the part that was most definitely not gown.  He'd been barely aware of where he'd headed.  Half-running, half-walking, fuelled by anxiety as much as anger.  Haunted by memory and trying to evade the past, as if it were literally chasing him.

Luckily his feet were already equipped for going long distances, the bike boots better suited to riding, but good enough for a tramp over the Bridge of Sighs, still chocolate-box territory, and on into the commercial and residential areas well beyond. In a Ben Sherman and pale khakis, the rest of his outfit was a bit less well-suited to the inclement weather. Oh, it started off fine – a bit grey and cloudy, but no more than that. Within ten minutes of beginning his furious tramp off in any old direction, however, the threatening clouds were making good, and he felt the first spatter of spitting rain on his face.

It ought to have got him into gear, shifting his arse to find a coffeeshop or pub where he could shelter from the storm – because storm was what it rapidly became. But his pace only became slower.  And in the end, ten minutes further in, he was soaked to the skin and he didn't even care. Townie types brushed past him, indifferent glances bumped off him as he lurched slowly down the main thoroughfares, almost becalmed. It had been raining like this the first time he'd met – really met – Michael.