Chapter 25

He jumped a bit, and he wasn't ashamed to own it, because after all he'd thought he was alone. But there was something familiar about the voice.  And when he turned around, he saw that it was him. Michael, Michael Shaw, the guy he'd noticed at registration, at induction.  And every time and opportunity Ben had had to glimpse him since then, too.  He'd met his eyes a couple of times, over the past weeks: but mostly he was moving too fast, talking too fast, surrounded by too many people and out of Ben's eyeline almost as fast as he entered it. A comet blazing past.

And now he swung up out of the shadows by the facing wall, too fast for Ben to even think about that. About what the hell he was doing here and in fact, what was Ben doing there.  And that they were both getting wetter, as the rain came down harder. He came up closer than anyone would expect, up into Ben's personal space.  Ben wondered if maybe he was drunk, since people didn't usually do that so much. But he couldn't smell beer on him, or weed either.

Up so close, the lights by the river shone on his face, and gave Ben a good view. He had a big wide smile on his face, and he was looking up at Ben searchingly.  Ben had maybe four or five inches on him. He looked like he was waiting for the answer to a question.  And Ben remembered that he'd said something to him out of the dark, and Ben hadn't even known that he was there. Oh. "No, you don't," Ben said. And it could have been a lot more charming, a lot more friendly, especially with this guy that he'd been watching for weeks.