Chapter 24

And he was lying barefaced, right through his teeth, of course. Who isn't looking for love, at all times, in all ways, everywhere and forever? Perhaps he hadn't been as fully aware of it, then, as he would be now. That was all.

Ben certainly wasn't consciously looking for it on the night that sprang to mind quickest now, though. Partly because it was late, somewhere round midnight. Not so late for clubbing or doing the rounds of dining clubs and societies and social 'do's' both formal and informal, readings and library nights and society minutes-taking and god knows, god knows what.  He'd done all that, packed plenty into eight or nine weeks or so, fast enough to be a little bored with it already.

Tonight, all he was leaving behind as he stepped out from the college front steps, wide double doors clanging behind him and the security guard looking at him with thoughtful eyes as he bade Ben a 'goodnight, sir', was... Nothing at all.  His own rooms in the college, and no-one else in them either. Offers, yes, plenty of offers, and already he was at the the point where he didn't want to take one of them up. Not actively, so he didn't.

But he couldn't sleep, either, and he was restless.  He knew it was beginning to rain a little, leaning out his window, but he didn't care enough to cover up properly or search out an umbrella. Once he had the idea in his head, he had to be out in the dark and the night.  And in a matter of minutes, he was.

He took myself off down by the river, and from his college that wasn't just a matter of a hop a skip and a jump, either. It was drizzling enough that he was damp through his jacket, almost, when he hit the waterside and leaped up the steps, to lean against the railing and look down into the dark waters.  He eyed the bright moon that was eyeing him back, trembling and shaking with the pelleting and buffeting of raindrops it was getting. He pulled his scarf off to scrub at his hair, that was trembling with dewdrops too, and his eyes were screwed shut with it, when he heard a voice from behind him.

"Hey, you.  I know you," it said.