Chapter 1

~

I walk through the halls, people going in all directions. I try to push my way through but get caught. I trip and drop everything I was holding. People continue to walk, not caring that I was in their way. As they pass they step on my stuff, oblivious that I even exist.

As if I was a ghost

I quickly gather my things and pull myself back up. I continue my walk to my locker. The people who once roamed the halls are now gone to their last class. I reach my locker and open it, setting all my books down. I decide to leave early since all I have now is a study hall. I grab my backpack and walk to the doors. I look out the window. Rain. I stand there for a minute, listening to the water droplets hitting the pavement. I sigh and then head out the door. I am greeted with the smell of rain right when I get outside, but I don't mind. The droplets hit me as I walk down the street. I am half-way home when the rain begins to downpour, giving me no mercy.

I finally get home and walk inside. I am greeted with the smell of meatloaf and mashed potatoes, one of my favorite meals. My mom is in the kitchen with her apron on. She's standing over the garbage can peeling potatoes, one by one she drops them in the pot on the stove. She looks up and notices that I'm sopping wet.

She smiles,"Hey Autumn, I just put the meatloaf in so it will be an hour. How was school?" I give no response and continue my journey to my room. I set my backpack on the floor and I sit down on the edge of my bed. My cold, wet clothes stick to me and I begin to shiver. I then hear a knock at my door. My mom comes in carrying a basket of clothes.

"Here, I just did your laundry. It's nice and warm! Change into something comfortable hun," She says setting the basket next to me. I turn to her and smile.

"Thanks mom," I say smiling. She's one of the only people who make me happy in this world. She then leans down and hugs me. I didn't expect this so I just sit there like a statue. She smiles at me once more and leaves, shutting the door behind her. I then find a pair of leggings and an over sized t-shirt. The warmth comforts my chilled body as I put my clothes on. My damp hair begins to curl and frizz in effect from the rain. I take my rain soaked clothes and put them in my hamper for now. I walk out into the living room and sit on the couch. I grab the remote and endlessly flip through the channels until I lose consciousness. An hour and a half later my mom wakes me up.

"Hun, get up," She says in a sweet voice as she puts her hand on my shoulder. My eyes open, then focusing on my mother's face.

"Dinner's ready," She says as she holds out her hand. I grab it and she helps me up. We walk to the dinner table together. My dad already took his spot and began eating. I take my seat and begin to serve myself. My mom does the same. After dinner, my dad tells me to stay put.

He takes a sip of his water and says,"Autumn, your mother and I have a big announcement," He looks at her and she nods. I prepare myself for the worst. My mom turns to me.

"We are going on a big buisness trip for a year!" She says with excitement in her voice.

"We are trusting you with the house since you're an adult now," My dad says making sure to have eye contact with me.

"We are leaving tomorrow!" My mom says as she begins to clean off the table.

"Okay, where are you going?" I ask suddenly curious. Where could they go?

"We are going to be traveling all over the country for this trip. You will be fine all by yourself? Right?" 

I reply with a nod as I sip my water. I then yawn and stretch a little in my seat.

"Okay Hun, we're trusting you." She says with a smile. "You are now dismissed." She says after her final statement. I then get up and go to my room. I get into bed and pull the covers up. I contemplate what I should do while their gone, although I can't do much without a lot of friends.

A year.

I then shut my eyes and fall asleep.

~~~~~

Sorry this was a slow chapter, it will get better I promise

I will update this soon

Hope you liked it!

~Emily