Changes

*Normal P.O.V.*

All in all, meeting the parent of who now seemed to be my best friend wasn't quite as bad as I had imagined. The time that I spent around Maz's was much better than I thought it would be. After the some what awkward events that lead to an awkward walk in from Maz's mother, Maz and I just sat, drank the tea with the biscuits and just basically talked about anything we could think of, literally anything. Embarrassing times we had both had, what was the worst thing we did as a child, stuff like that. I have known Maz for about a month or so now and we still don't fully know everything about each other. I mean there is also a lot to know about a person, it takes months, sometimes maybe even years to get to know someone properly, inside and out.

After the chat that lasted what seemed like hours, Maz walked me all the way home, gave me a hug, said good bye and went home. Nothing else was mentioned about the whole dancing situation, Maz never did finish his sentence and it puzzled me. I guess it didn't matter that much. I just tried my hardest to push all of those events from that day to the back of my head, I didn't need to worry.

Laying in my bed I looked up towards the ceiling, pondering about life, just things in general. It was only officially a week or so into the summer holidays and I feel like I had already changed. All because of Maz. Meeting him over the last month was a new and exciting experience for me and I couldn't help but smile about it all. I looked over at my beside table to see my memory jar, the bottom of it was slowly starting to fill up already with different coloured pieces of paper rolled up in different ways. Remembering that I hadn't yet written down the events from today and placed it inside I sat my self up and picked up a pen and one of the coloured square sheets from my bed side draw. I picked a blue gel pen with a baby pink sheet of paper. I popped the lid off of the pen and began to scribble on the pink sheet, smiling to myself once again remembering the events from today.

"Maz's house.

Spending yet another day with Maz but this time at his house. Met his mum. Laughed, joked and maybe even had a little dance. x"

I folded up the small piece of paper and slipped it through the small gap at the top of the jar. I popped the lid back onto the pen and relaxed myself back into my duvet, looking across the room and out of my window and the dark night sky, eventually drifting off into a calming sleep.

-------------------------------------
"Come on Daisy, more your ass, get up." My mum shouted up the stairs to me. It was a Monday morning, and she was home and not at work? Why?
I quickly picked myself up off of the bed and ran down the stairs to the kitchen I was still half asleep inside but my head was confused, mum works 24/7 why is she home. When I got into the kitchen I was greeted by the smell of pancakes. My mother was standing by the hob, a frying pan in hand. Next to her on the counter was a plate already highly stacked with other pancakes. I was still so confused. Why was mum making us pancakes, why was she home? Did she have a new job? A new boyfriend? Did she want to talk about something? I was so lost in my own thoughts and confusion that I hadn't realised the fact that my mum was now aware of my presence.
"Daisy darling quit daydreaming and come sit down." My mum insisted pointing to the island in the middle of the room which was already set with
cutlery, juice and various toppings. I furrowed my brow, still in confusion and sat myself down on one of the breakfast stools, adjusting my nightgown so that it didn't ride up.
"Here you go love, dig in." My mum beamed setting the plate of pancakes inbetween our plates and sitting herself down opposite to me.
"Er, mum?" I asked hesitantly.
"Yes darling?" She replied getting herself a pancake.
"Why are you home and not at work? And why are you being this nice?" I questioned, trying not to sound rude.
My mum just started to chuckle to herself.
"I know I know, I'm never around am I, this must be so strange." She was laughing but I could see hurt in her eyes. She cleared her throat and continued.
"What you said the other day gave me a real reality check, I really wasn't spending enough time with my only daughter. So I've made some changes, I now only have to go into work on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays and I don't ever start my days until 11. You now have the delight of my company on Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays and every morning." She explained smiling to herself. The reaction on my face mirrored hers but I still couldn't help feel bad.
"But mum, you love your job? I dont want you to be deprived of it, and plus what about the money?" I wondered
"I love my job yes, but I love my only daughter much more." This made my heart fill with warmth.
"I will be working for atleast another 30 odd years, whereas I will only have the delight of having my little girl still living with me for a few more years, you will be off to university before we know it and then you'll have your own house. I've got to make the most of you while I still have you!" She replied.
"And plus you are forgetting that I am my own boss dear, I make my own pay. Sharon didn't object to doing a few extra jobs for me anyways." She added grinning.

Once again like what had happened with Maz recently my heart started to flutter. My mother was actually making the effort to pay more attention to me, she hadn't done that once since dad left. For ages after that time my heart had something missing, but since I've met Maz and just now being told by my mother that she was making time for me, the gap was filling back up again. I literally couldn't keep control of my smile. I jumped off of the stool and ran around to my mums side, squeezing her into a big hug. She mirrored my actions and whispered the words "I love you Daisy" in my ear, and of course I returned them.