Chapter 4

Chapter Four

I hung out with Veronique and Annabelle while Zak hung out with Aaron and Nick. She was only a year old, but she was still a lot of fun. She couldn't say my name yet, but she was getting close to it. I always wanted a little sister, but my parents were too busy and selfish to even think about another child. Maybe Zak would get a girlfriend and get married.

"Annie, how have you been doing?"

"Better than the last week,"

"Why is that?"

"There was something dark in the house that would attack me at night," I looked at her and concern overwhelmed her face as she held Annabelle.

"Oh, sweetheart, I'm so sorry,"

"It's okay, it's gone now," I replied, picking at the grass, "Is it bad to say that I miss my mom? "

"No, honey, it's not bad. She was your mom,"

"She was loving at some point in my life, the last four years, not so much. I was out today getting food with Zak and I saw a girl my age with her mom. She was loving and a real mom to her and I felt really jealous of her. Is that normal?"

"Yeah, it is. I'm sorry, honey, but if you ever need any talk about stuff your dad doesn't need to know about, you can call me,"

"Thank you," I smiled and looked past to see my dad grilling with Nick and Aaron. Even though my mom wasn't around, I still had an amazing father and I was so thankful for him and what he has provided me with. I got up and went to follow him as he went into the house to get something, "Daddy, I love you. Thank you everything," I wrapped my arms around his waist, the only thing I could reach, and I felt him grab me and I was face-to –face with him. He had the biggest smile on his face and pulled me close to him. I wrapped my arms around his neck and rested my head on his shoulder.

"You are the best thing that has ever happened to me, Annie. I love you so much," I felt him kiss my hair and slowly slide me to the floor, " Bring this out to Nick," He handed the hot dog rolls and hamburger rolls, and I walked out giving it to Nick. He happily grabbed them from me and I looked around just to see my dad scoop me and hold me at his hip without my legs wrapping around his waist. I set my arm around his neck and he walked around like I was no issue at all. By 8 o'clock, everyone was fed and talking. I was laying in the lounge chair with my dad and Annabelle had fallen asleep on Nick. I crawled onto my father and put my arms around him, closing my eyes. I felt him put his arms around me as I heard him reply to Aaron.

I awoke at around 2 with pains in my stomach. I sat up and pulled away the blankets to go to the bathroom. As I got up to stand, I fell to the ground when a sharp pain spread across my lower abdomen. I couldn't walk to my dad's room, so I crawled to his room. I reached up, turned the doorknob, opened the door, and crawled in. I got to my dad's and pulled myself up to shake my dad.

"Daddy, Daddy, wake up," I kept shaking him until he stirred. I choked back a sob and let out a cry when another sharp pain came.

"Annie? What's wrong?" He got up and pulled me to him. I pulled my shirt up and pointed to my lower stomach. He put his hand to a spot and I cringed, tightening my grip on his arm. In one quick move, he got up and slipped on a shirt, putting on his shoes. He grabbed his keys and scooped me up, running down the stairs with me. We got to the car and he laid gently in the back seat and he go in the driver's seat, quickly pulling out of the driveway, "Annie, it's going to be okay," I nodded and held my stomach. I cried louder with every wave of pain.