Chapter 5

I laid watching Disney when Dad walked in with a woman. She was rather pretty and she had red hair like me. She smiled and dad set a bag from Dunkin Donuts on the tray table. The woman sat next to dad and he had sat in the chair next to me. He reached in the bag and handed me a sandwich and a donut with an orange juice. He handed the woman her food and got himself his.

"So sweetheart, this is Olivia. She is a very special friend of mine and I wanted her to meet you. She loves history, very smart, and she is very friendly,"

"You like history?" I asked her, not believing it.

"Yeah, I majored it in college. I am now a museum guide and I really love it,"

"Where?"

"The Big Science and History one downtown," That was so cool. I really loved that museum.

"That is my favorite museum. I make him take me all the time," I told her. I already liked her.

"Maybe when you are better, I can take you,"

"That would be so cool,"

"She is definitely your daughter," she told him, laughing. He laughed back and smiled at her. He liked her. I could tell.

"Yeah, that she is," I took a bite out of my sandwich and took a sip of my orange juice. Olivia stayed with us for about two hours before Dad had to drive her home. Dad liked her, I could tell. I knew who he dated in the past and Olivia was nothing like Christine or Shannon. Dad had been dating Christine when I had first come to live with him and she did not like me at all. They broke up because she got whiny over the fact he was always gone and that he had to take care of me. Oh well. I hope Olivia stuck around. I ate my donut and watched the rest of my show. Dad came back 15 minutes later and greeted me with a kiss on the forehead, "What do you think of her?"

"Daddy, don't let her go away. You like her, I can tell. I like her, she loves history and she can get me into the museum free. She is nothing like Christine, so go for it,"

"Honey, it's not that easy,"

"Daddy, just do it,"

"Fine. I'll ask her out and I'll get Aaron to watch you. Is that okay?"

"Yes, dad,"

"You are a smart kid, sweetheart," he smiled at me and I smiled back bigger.

Two days later, I was discharged and feeling a lot better. Dad was going on a date tomorrow and I would be at Aaron's. I was ordered to take it easy and I was banished to the couch, playing video games. At noon, Zak put Nana's homemade chicken soup in front of me that she dropped off yesterday. Zak put two grilled cheeses on a plate next to it. I smiled and took a bite of my grilled cheese. It was cheddar, just like I liked it.

"Annie, I'm going to be in my office working on something if you need me, okay?"

"Okay, dad," I went back to my video games and ate the last bit of my lunch. I continued the game and took a nap at 1.

I woke up later to someone rubbing my back and I opened my eyes to see my dad, "What time is it?"

"7p.m. I took a nap when you did as well. I woke up about 30 minutes ago," I sat up slowly and went to sit on the blankets, facing Zak, "Are you hungry?"