Chapter 5

I woke up, still on the floor. Pretty much everything ached. I was sure I had a fresh patch of bruises like I always did to start the week. I sat up, and noticed that everything was exactly the same as when I passed out, only the living room lights were out. How long was I out? I heard very quiet music playing toward the back of our very drab apartment. Was Zoe still listening to that fucking music?! I sat there on the shag carpet for at least a few minutes longer, writhing in pain. I was terrified to get up, knowing I would regret it immediately. My arm started to go numb from lying on it so I decided to get up. Waves of complete pain washed through me. I moved as quickly as I could, wincing and making little grunts on the way up. I finally made it to the couch and collapsed.

 I was have a little trouble breathing but I tried to call out Zoe’s name. “…Zoeeee…?” I managed to make my voice echo off the walls in desperate need to get Zoe’s attention. “…Z-Zoe…?” I was running quicker and quicker out of breathe. In my last attempt, I managed to make my voice loud enough to make the quiet music to shut off. “…Yeah?!” I heard her annoyed voice come down the call. “P-Please come here…” I said in my regular speaking voice. I heard her groan and open her door, coming toward my resting place. “What the fuck do you-OH MY GOD WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU?!” She said, sitting next to my crinkled body. “J-J-J-“ was all I needed to say before her face changed from panicked worry to absolute disgust. “Oh my god, He was fucking here?! How did I miss him?!?!?” She was so upset. I held my stomach. “Your music…” I grunted out.

Her eyes had a glint of anger in it but her face showed pain. She stood up, walk into her room, and came back with her head phones in hand. I was confused until she dropped them on the floor and smashed both ear buds under her foot. “This is never gonna happen again. The next time I see him, I’m going to splatter his brains on the pavement.” She growled out of gritted teeth. I smiled a little. Knowing I had a friend as good as her is such a happy feeling. She texted me probably 30 times last night, totally worried about my safety. She’s threatening man slaughter because of a little violence. Let’s face it, Zoe was a good friend. She kicked aside the shattered remains of her pink and white earphones and sat back next to me.

“So…What hurts, babe?” She asked, examining my face. I’m sure my nose and lip are oozing blood and there’s a black eye somewhere on there. I winced and pulled up my shirt past my belly button. Just as I suspected, there was several bruises of every size and color. It was like the junior section at Kmart, only instead of moderately fashionable clothes for girls 12-16, it’s disgusting ouchies all over someone’s abdomen. “Well, everything…” I chuckled, making some of my ribs hurt. She smiled weakly. “How about we get you some ice and a nice cup of coffee?” She grinned down at me. “Sounds great…” I smiled. Thanks Zoe, you’re the best…