Chapter 3

We all sat down toward the back of the Starbucks. No one recognized them, considering there was no one in their besides a guy with a laptop and a girl way to into the book she was holding to give a shit about her surroundings. We sat on a couch and two chairs. I sat on the couch next to Patrick who sat next to Pete. Joe and Andy resorted to the red chairs east of our tan couch. I took a sip of my cool drink, glancing around. “How secluded…” I said, looking down at my lap. Patrick smiled and said “Totally my kind of place.” I nodded. “I love quiet, dark-ish places. They make me feel better. Stupid anxiety…” I muttered. “You have a problem with anxiety too?!” Pete said, looking excited. “Well….kind of…” I said. I hated talking about my personal life. And especially with people I just met. “So do I! Kind of a fucked up way to connect with, huh?” He said, chuckling. “I guess….It sucks, huh?” I smiled at him. “Oh totally. I hate going out anywhere. Even being here makes me uncomfortable.” He said. I could totally relate. I was slightly touching Patrick knee with mine and it was making me highly discomforted. “If you will excuse me, I’m going to go powder my nose.” I said. “Isn’t that just girl code words for ‘I need to take a piss’?” Joe said as I stood up. “It may or may not be…” I grinned, walking towards the bathroom.

Once inside I looked at myself in the mirror. OH DEAR JESUS I LOOK LIKE A HOT MESS. My hair was completely unruly, black mascara and eyeliner was visible just enough to make me look even worse, and the clothes I had on were very, very baggy. I still had no clue whose clothes I’m in but I have an idea. I think the pants are Pete’s and the shirt is Patrick’s. I really need to get home, but I don’t want to leave them. I feel pretty privileged to be where I am. Hanging out with Fall Out Boy is actually a pretty fucking cool thing. I took my hair out and stuck it back up on the top of my head, tighter this time. I tightened the drawstring on Pete’s pants and pushed the ends of the pant legs up half of my calf. I washed the makeup all the way off of my eyelids. I finally looked, you know, NOT like a bum.

I walked out and sat back down. “Have a nice pee, Vanessa?” Joe said, snidely. “Fine, thank you.” I said, picking up my drink. “You know, I’m having so much fun but…I really need to get home and um put my own clothes.” Patrick smiled and said “But you are totally rocking my shirt…” I giggled and said “Okay, whatever you say Pat…” “But we can take you home if you want.” Pete said, looking up at me. “It’s okay, I’ll just take a Taxi but thank you guys so much for the drinks and the nice shower and…you know saving my ass back in that alley.” “Oh don’t mention it…see you around Vanessa.” Joe said, waving. I smiled and turned to leave. Once I excited, I heard someone call my name after me. “…Hey Vanessa!” It was Patrick. He had a little piece of paper in his hand. “Hey, I just want to give you my number because I would love for you to come to our show this Saturday.” I took the slip from him and smiled “I would love to…” I said blushing. “Well…don’t pass out in any more alleys or I might just have to come back and save you again.” He smiled. I laughed and waved to him as he walked back into the coffee shop. I caught a taxi and hopped in, telling him my address. I thought to myself and stared out the window as the blurred images of people and places passed the yellow car. Patrick Stump of Fall Out Boy gave me his number? Am I dreaming? God I hope not.