Chapter One

In the small village of Potidaea, in the low stone cottage of Gabrielle’s family, putting her armour on, while Gabrielle’s mother and sister attended to a small wound on the back of her head, Xena sat with her foot resting on a stool.

 “The thing you did with the hoop. That was amazing!” Gabrielle was saying enthusiastically. “Where did you get it? Did you make it yourself? And that kick you do, you’ve got to teach me that!” She chattered.

 In that moment, a group of men and a few women, Village from their simple dress, came into the room, some carrying staffs, and axes. “Xena we’d like you to move on.” One of the men said. “Move on? But father she should rest here till her wound has healed.” Gabrielle looked at him pleadingly.

 “Daughter, hush.” He said putting a hand on her shoulder. “We don’t want any trouble with you Xena. We know your reputation. We just want you to leave.” Gabrielle’s father said. “But father!” Gabrielle protested. “She saved…"

 “It’s all right.” Xena interrupted. “I plan to move on anyway.” Her tone was flat, she hadn't expected anything else from these people, her reputation preceded her no matter what she did.

 He nodded. “Don’t take too long.” Xena glanced at him, expressionless and went back to lacing up her boots. Gabrielle's mother and sister gathered their bowls of healing blams and cloths and disappeared into another room. As the villagers left one of the men put his hand on Gabrielle’s back, as if to guide her out
“Let’s go Gabrielle.” He said.

 “Hey!” Gabrielle shrugged him off.  “Just because we’re betrothed doesn’t mean you can boss me around.” The young woman said, annoyed. “I want to stay and talk to Xena." He left without a word.

 Gabrielle sat on the stool. “You’ve got to take me with you. Teach me everything you know. You can’t leave me here.” She said a little desperately.

  Xena got up to get her pack. “Why?” She asked.

 “Did you see the guy they want me to marry?” Gabrielle asked.

 “He looks like a gentle soul.” Xena walked back to her seat and put her pack on it.  “That’s rare in a man.”  She started packing up her stuff.

 “It’s not the gentle part I have problem with.” Gabrielle said, talking to Xena’s back. “It’s the dull stupid part.”Xena smiled to herself. “Xena, I’m not cut out for this village life. I was born to do so much more.” The young woman said, gesturing expressively.

 “I travel alone.” The warrior's tone was empty.

 “So where are you headed now?” Gabrielle asked, trying to sound uninterested.

 “Amphipolis.” Xena replied.

 “That’s in Thrace isn’t it? I love to study maps and place names."

 Silence.  “So what route do you usually take?” She asked casually.     

 “Don’t even think about it.” Xena shook her head. “What?” Gabrielle asked innocently.  Xena finished packing and turned to look at her.

 “Following me.”

 She picked up her sword in its sheath. “You don’t want to make me mad, now do you?”  Xena asked raising her eyebrows.

 Gabrielle shook her head slightly, eyes wide. Xena walked past her, looking back at her once, as if warning her not to follow, before she went out the door.

 Gabrielle’s face took on an expression of intense contemplation, her fingers tapping her top lip