Chapter Four

The next day Xena was riding along at a trot, the air clear and mild when she came to a narrow and somewhat rickety bridge over a sluggish steam of what may be called water. Argo suddenly threw up her head whinnying and came to an abrupt halt, hooves digging into the dirt she refused to go any further.

 “Come on girl, we can make it” Xena encouraged her to no avail. She swung to the ground and led her across murmuring reassurances.  “That’s it, easy. There… easy enough…Hmmm?” Her left hand was resting on her sword at her waist, an unconscious precaution. They had walked about four paces on the other side while Xena looked around suspiciously, not willing to take any chances, when Argo pulled back, neighing in alarm, Xena held onto to her reins tightly. “What's the problem?” Argo managed to pull free and trotted hastily back across the bridge. Xena thought about going after her for a second but then turned back to see what had scared her mount.

 “Arrrgh!”

 The warrior woman looked up as a huge man came around the corner of a boulder, raising an equally huge hammer. Xena’s hand went to her sword.

 The man or rather small giant had one big scar one the middle of his forehead and no eyes.He swung the hammer it skimmed past where Xena would have been had she not leaned back a few inches, her hand still resting on her sword at her left hip. He sniffed the air.

 ‘”Smell trouble?” Xena asked half a smile on her lips.

 His head turned towards her.  “It’s you!” He roared  “Arrrgh!” He brought his hammer down. Xena jumped sideways, grinning outright now.  ‘You lost some wait since I saw you last.’ She commented.

 “Arrgh.” He brought the hammer down again.

 Xena just stepped the other way.  “Guess that job I did on your eye must have cut down on the people eating huh?”

 “Ever since you blinded me, a day hasn’t gone by when I haven’t dreamt of tasting your flesh.” He growled while Xena stood, smiling, her hands on her hips. As he raised his hammer again, Xena grabbed her chakram and threw it, it hit his belt breaking it, glanced off a rock and spun back to Xena.With his trousers around his feet and his under pants showing he started to sway losing his balance completely when he tried to move, dropping his hammer and falling to the ground with a thunderous thud.Xena moved out of the way, as he fell, her chakram in hand.

 Then shaking her head at the Cyclops’ stupidity the Warrior Princess put two fingers in her mouth and whistled. Argo came trotting over the bridge.

 “Aaughhh!” The Cyclops made a feeble attempt to get up.

 The mare stopped beside her mistress. “You know, you should find a different line of work.” Xena said gathering up the reins.

 “Like what?! I’m a blind Cyclops, for crying out loud!”

 Xena mounted then resting one hand on her sword hilt, just in case, with the other holding the reins she said: “You could hire yourself out to a village as a protector. Even a blind Cyclops would scare most folks off.” She moved both hands to the reins getting ready to ride off. “And the villagers would probably toss you, a sheep every now and again for payment.” She shook a strand of dark hair back off her face.

 “Sheep!” The Cyclops exclaimed. “How can you start eating mutton when you’re used to human flesh!”

 “Suit yourself.” Xena said before riding off.

******

 Draco and Hector were standing at a table in the planning tent examining a map of the surrounding lands when a guard with a red mohawk hurried up carrying another map.

 “Xena was spotted riding towards the Strymond pass.” Gar, the res haired man, said unrolling the map on the table.  “Hector take two men cut through the pass pick up her trial and send word as soon as she enters her home valley.” Draco ordered as soon as he saw a possible advantage. “We’ll march right into Amphipolis and torch everything in sight. Spread the word we’re doing it on Xena’s orders.” He said looking at the two men. “Then she’ll know.”

 “Know what?” Hector asked.

 “That there’s no rest for the wicked.” Draco replied darkly as he left the tent.