Prologue

Prologue

  ***Sorry, but this'll be a pretty short prologue. I don't like writing short things, but it's sort of unavoidable.***

 She sat in the room crying with her head in her hands as she hunched over, the tears spilling over her flushed cheeks. It really broke my heart to see her like that...

"Momma, are you okay?" I asked as I came out of the hall and into her room, finally letting my presence be known.

"Arry? Why are you up? It's three in the morning..." She whispered as she wiped the tears from her eyes. It was obvious she didn't want me to see her crying.

"I couldn't sleep. I heard you crying... why are you sad?"

"It's... complicated, my little Arry. But everything will be okay."

"Okay momma. When will papa be home?"

At the mention of papa, momma started to shake as more tears welled up in her eyes. I couldn't understand why.

"Your papa...." Momma said with shaky breaths, "Won't be home... "

"What? Why?" I was sad at her words, but also very curious. Why wasn't my papa gonna be home?

"He's... just not... interested in a family.... Anymore." It seemed like she was choking on the words as she let them fall from her mouth. "But don't worry my little Arry, we will be okay. I know we will." She seemed to sit up straighter as she said that, but I could still see she was upset.

With a final wipe of her tears and a new resolve, she got up carried me to my room, holding me close as she went. I was set down on my bed and tucked in. She sang me a lullaby as she laid down next to me, cuddling me close. That was the last thing I remember from that night as a peaceful sleep closed in on me.