Chapter Thirty-Two

Nelson Residence

There was a message waiting for them when David and Paula arrived home that night. A constant red flash screaming, "Listen to me! I have news for you!"

David played the message back. It was from the doctor they met at dinner. "Hello David and Paula. I feel a little awkward talking to your machine but anyway; I just wanted to apologize for how I acted at dinner. I expect Dr. Jonah explained that this is very hard for me. Please don't take my brashness as a sign of my true character; I'm just really struggling right now. I hope to see you Thursday and I'm looking forward to meeting Robyn. Again, I'm sorry. I hope you can understand. I guess that's all. I'll talk to you soon, I hope. Good night." That was all.

Paula smiled at David. "I feel better that he did that. He sounded a little more human on that message."

David nodded. He agreed completely.

April 25, 2006

"So, what do you think?" It was already Wednesday. Tomorrow was the day if they chose to do it.

Jack stared at the wall, his ear against the receiver. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. "Harold wants you to come here and get a larynx for Robyn? Tomorrow?"

"Jack, that's what I just said. Yes." David didn't really understand his friend's tone.

"Here?" Jack asked again.

"Yes, there. What's wrong with you? Do you know what it's about?"

"Don't come, Dave. For God's sake, don't come." He was pleading with him. Begging. Even though Jack believed in what Harold was doing, the last thing he wanted was his old friend getting tangled up in it too. Getting in trouble if it all came out.

"Why, Jack?" David asked. "Why not come?"

"You don't need to know about what goes on in here," Jack warned him. "It could be trouble."

"Is it illegal?" David asked. "Are you involved?"

"Enough that I'll carry some of the blame," Jack told him.

"Jack?"

"What?"

"How can it hurt just to come and see?" David wasn't going to be discouraged.

"Just don't, okay," Jack begged. "Don't come."

"But it's a voice, Jack," David insisted. "She could have a voice."

Jack knew he'd lost.

***

"So?" Paula had been waiting eagerly while David talked to Jack.

David set the phone down. He looked at his wife and shrugged.

"So?" She said again. "What did he say?"

"He said not to come," David told her.

"Not to? Why not?" Paula asked.

"I think it might be illegal," David said. "I think they might be doing illegal stuff over there."

"But we're going, right?" Paula asked. "At least to see? If it's too bad we can just walk away. Right? We can just leave?"

David squeezed her hand and smiled. "Right. We should call Robyn in here and tell her."

Sutton Residence

Jack was on the phone again. This time with Harold. "How can you involve them like this?" he asked.