Chapter Forty

Nelson Residence

The knock on the door was abrupt enough to send the message that this was not a friendly visit nor one that brought with it good news.

David opened the door to an unfamiliar man in a suit. Lawyer. It was written across his face, his suit, and the briefcase in his right hand. David wasn't at all surprised. He had been expecting this visit since the day of the operation when the police had swarmed Harold's lab.

"Mr. Nelson?" the man asked.

David nodded. "That's me."

"James Ward." He stuck out his hand and David took it. "You've heard about Dr. Harold Donnelly?" he asked.

"I have," David told him.

"I am representing him in court," James said, looking past David to the woman and two identical children standing in the hallway behind him. "May I come in?"

David stepped back and ushered the man in. He led him to the kitchen where all five of them gathered around the table.

James eyed the girls, mirror images of each other down to the small scars on their throats. "Which one of you is Robyn?" he asked.

The one on the left raised her hand and gave him a little wave.

"Can't talk yet?" he asked.

She shook her head. "Her throat hasn't healed enough, yet," David interjected. "She'll need a few more weeks."

James nodded. "What are your feelings towards Harold?" he asked. The question was for all of them but David answered again.

"We have nothing bad to say about him. He's a good man with a good heart. He made a dream come true for our daughter."

"And gave us a new one," Paula said, holding Summer's hand while they shared a special smile. "How could we not like a man who did that?"

Once again James focused on Robyn. "Would you be willing to testify in court regarding Dr. Donnelly?" he asked.

Robyn shrugged apologetically and tapped her throat with a slender hand.

"I know you can't talk yet, Robyn, but we could have someone there to interpret your signing," James explained.

Robyn looked at both her parents. They looked uncertain. "Why do you need Robyn?" Paula asked.

"We need help. We need people who can say what a good man he is. Robyn's perfect for that," James told them.

Paula didn't like the idea of her little girl in a courtroom, especially when the case was getting so much media attention. "We need to think about it. Can we call you?"

"Certainly." James slid a card across the table to her and stood to leave. "Thanks for your time. I hope to hear from you real soon."

Sumter County Correctional Center

Another night. Same old bleakness. Same old depression. Same old cell. It wasn't so bad now that he'd gotten used to it. And they did flush the toilets. All he had to do was ask.

Melanie had done well today. So brave to stand up to that Patrick Sweetwater. He missed the girls. It was like a physical pain. He curled up on his cot with its plastic blanket and settled into his loneliness.

Light from the one window at the end of the cell block was dimming as the darkness began to filter in. They would turn the lights out soon. Mandatory bedtime. He didn't mind so much. He didn't have anything better to do.