Chapter 5

Shadepaw brought his paws down on his prey. Under the weight, the vole's spine snapped, and died. Shadepaw, proud, took his prey and showed it to Yang.

   "Good job, Shadepaw. You've definitely been improving. Let's head to Training Valley to practice your battle skills." Yang smiled, and padded over in the direction of Training Valley.

   Shadepaw dug and hole and buried his vole, and quickly caught up to Yang. It's been a while since they last practiced hunting and battle skills. Yang had gotten mild whitecough for a quarter-moon. Shadepaw didn't mind though, a small break wouldn't hurt.

   The two toms padded through a dense and small tunnel, covered by low undergrowth. Barely any light passed through and into the tunnel. Luckily, the cats' adaptions to the dark helped them to see. Yang led the way out, and into a calm meadow, it had somewhat of a roof. The leaves closed in, but in the center was a gap, where light shined through and into Training Valley.

   Yang sat down in the middle of the meadow and nodded for Shadepaw to do the same,"Shadepaw, this time let's pretend I'm a RainClan warrior. We've never practiced with me being a RainClan warrior. So, it might unsteady your attacks. I've learned the ways of all the warriors from different Clans, so you'll be unfamiliar with the moves. That's okay? I don't want to push you too far too fast."

   Shadepaw nodded,"Yes, Yang."

   "Okay, please stand and we'll get started." 

   The two cats stood on the grass, and prepared for training. Shadepaw's broad shoulders tensed up, ready to dodge or pounce, whichever he had to do. Yang stood a bit further away than usual, and stood in a pose similar to an arched back. Yang's eyes were focused on his apprentice, and his pupils were thinner.

   Shadepaw was indeed unfamiliar with this, but he would first have to see the way Yang would attack, that's very vital information for Shadepaw. The apprentice narrowed his eyes, and went into a hunter's crouch, the common pounce pose for a LightningClan warrior.

   Shadepaw knew training was starting when Yang let out a hiss and crept forward, still with his back arched. Then Yang abruptly shot through the air and landed on Shadepaw. Shocked, the apprentice collapsed under the weight whilst Yang started "attacking" him, with sheathed claws.

   Shadepaw blinked, and realized that Yang was still going, he knew that Yang was trying to give him a chance to act in defense. Shadepaw narrowed his eyes and gave power to his hind legs, Yang collapsed a couple tail-lengths away.*

*Don't know what a tail-length is? It's the cat way of saying "foot". As in the measure. (i.e. She landed a couple feet away <--Human ___ Cat--> She landed a couple tail-lengths away)

   Yang got up and hissed, then he started charging Shadepaw. He brought his right paw up, then Shadepaw was stunned as Yang's left paw hit him in the face. Shadepaw shook his head and pounced at Yang, and let all his weight onto the tom.

   Yang fell, and started moving over to the correct position so he could rake Shadepaw's underbelly. The apprentice, noticing this, jumped out of the way and cuffed his paw across Yang's own belly.

   Yang smiled and got up,"Great job, Shadepaw. You've been getting better, let's pick up your prey and head back to camp."

   Shadepaw nodded his head and followed Yang through the tunnel.

~

   Shadepaw and Yang came to camp with prey in their jaws, Gearpelt was in front of the entrance and greeted them with a nod. Yang nodded back and dropped his prey in the fresh kill pile, Shadepaw doing the same.

   The young apprentice sat down near the fresh kill pile and looked at all the apprentices playing in the thin sheet of snow. Shadepaw looked up to find snow falling down, a snowflake fell on his nose and he licked it off. His paws itched to play with his brother, until he found himself playing in the snow.

~

   Jaywhisker sat a little ways from where the apprentices played. She always admits to being protective over her sons still. She smiled as she saw Mosspaw throw snow at Shadepaw. She felt that StarClan had blessed her with such wonderful kits. Jaywhisker's ears twitched, she turned her head to see Tigerpelt padding over. He sat down next to her, and lay his head on top of her own,"I love you," he whispered.

   Jaywhisker smiled again gently,"I love you too."

"