Chapter 23

"Onto LightningClan?" Shadow smiled. Cinderstar had helped him take down BreezeClan with ease. They were going through a sickness, so they gave up only minutes into the battle. Most of the healthy warriors came to ShadowClan, but the others and the sick were forced out of their own territory.

   Cinderstar nodded, "We're only growing stronger and have only lost some of our new recruits. We should be able to take em' down."

   ShadowClan trodded towards LightningClan but a patrol caught them first.

   "Whoa, whoa, whoa. What is going on here? Why is GloomClan here? Get out of our territory!" Shadow recognized the voice as Woodfeather's.

   "Join us or back down!" GloomClan's deputy yowled.

   "Join you? Psssh, like I'd want to do that!" This cat was unrecognizable, must be a new warrior.

   Cinderstar walked up elaborately calm, "We are here to take over your Clan for good reasons. All your leaders are too foolish and dumb to lead you. We," She flicked her tail over to Shadow, "Are experienced and wise. We can make your Clans great again. If you disagree you will die or be forced out of the territory forever."

   The patrol was silent for a while, Shadow's whiskers twitched when he thought he had scared them out of their pelts but then they suddenly burst out laughing.

   "You're not as intimidating as you think!" A warrior laughed.

   "Look at your puny warriors!" Woodfeather gurgled.

   Only one tom stayed silent, staring at Shadow, "You're... you're Mudsplash's old friend," he whispered.

   Shadow hissed, "I have no friends!" He didn't notice Moon and Whisper wince beside him.

   "Don't you remember Mudspla-Mudpaw?" He murmured.

   Shadow widened his eyes as he remembered eating with Mudpaw and Blossompaw one afternoon after training. They laughed, but only he stayed silent. He hadn't fit in because he couldn't hunt properly. But now look at him - Shadow smirked - he was taking over the Clans!

   "Oh boy do I remember him, yeah yeah, had some good times. But that is over now, I have come here to take over LightningClan. So run or join us!" 

    The tom shrunk back, but the rest of the patrol snarled and ran off. The tom eventually turned and ran after them. Laughing, ShadowClan started creeping forward but this time, the patrol returned with the rest of their Clan, Crowstar's determined, narrowed eyes in front.

   "You may have taken the other clans, Shadow, but you can never take down LightningClan! We've heard of your plotting and saw your training. We know your every move. Back down Shadow, you'll never win!" He snapped.

   Whisper closed in, his fur brushing Shadow's in fear, "Will we die today, Shadow?"

   Shadow stared at the young tom in fear, surprise, and despair, "Even if we do, Whisper... We will go down together. And we'll die strong. Death is the last thing you should be worried about." He purred.

   Whisper stood up shaking, but then his legs stood still as he got in a fighting stance and nodded, "I will die protecting my Clan. To save them, or to die with them."

   Shadow nodded and looked at Crowstar and narrowed his eyes, "We come here to take over your territory, not your lives. If you treasure them, I suggest you run."

   "No chance, not after you killed our deputy! And decided to bury him because you were scared we'd find him?"

   Whisper hissed, "We're not scared! We're just not cruel enough to just leave his body there!"