Chapter three

I started to clean out the stables. The smell burning my eyes, I walk out side to get some fresh air. I inhale slowly letting the clean air fill my nose. As i turn to go back to my chore i heard a loud rumbling, i look to see a convoy of green trucks heading towards the town. I look other to mother, she sighs.

"why are they coming here mother?" i ask.

"There here to get supply's food, horses, basically anything they want" she bent down and picked up the laundry basket and walk indoors. I finish my chores and walk inside. I drink some water and sit at the table next to George. 

"Tommy why did Dad go?" asked George sadly 

"errm because he wanted to serve his country and to stop the Germans taking over" I tried my hardest to give an answer  that wouldn't upset him. There was a awkward silence.

Then there was three loud knocks at the door. I call mother and i go to answer the door.

"Good morning, are you the oldest male in the house?" the man in military uniform asked 

"yes sir" I was confused as i answered 

"are there any other males in the house?" the officer asked 

"yes a eight year old, could i ask what this is about?" mother came to the door as soon as she saw the man in uniform she burst into tears.

"you are to pack your essentials and be prepared to leave. You are being taken to the army."

I looked around in shock, mother was in tears George ran at me and wrapped his arms around me i hear his muffled voice say "don't go, please you cant go."

I kneel down so i'm face to face with him tears forming in my eyes.

"look i don't have a choice i have to go" i pull him close "you are now the man of the house, promise me you will look after the farm and look after mother"

He looked up at me "i promise" he wimped

i walk to my room and pack my stuff.

i take one last look as i climb into the military truck. This could be the last time i ever see the farm and my family ever again.