Preparations to Journey East

For several days, efforts were underway to actualize the plan of Svetlana's rescue. This would involve an armed entourage to leave the foothills of Eastern Europe's great mountain ranges—home to the Slavic villages, and travel further east into the wide steppes of Eurasia—land of the Scythian nomads. The reports had been positive that the Pazyryk kingdom of this region was in a state of disarray and that Sharvur, it's brutal king, had once again been deposed. Were Svetlana ever to be returned with her small child to her homeland, and village of Wahlesh, it would have to be soon.

As the rescue had been ordered by the Archon of the town, a serious atmosphere was underway by the whole village to carry out the mission as quickly and efficiently as their resources permitted. Andrik, Svetlana's younger brother, now feeling his young man's power and responsibility to his clan, headed up the incursion consisting of five seasoned hunter-warriors—armed with bows and swords; Tsudros and Moshtok, whose job it would be to communicate with whomever it would be amenable to releasing Svetlana; and one of the Archon's elders to travel as leader and wise counselor. Each of these expeditionaries would be provided a strong horse, with three extra animals sent to carry the provisions necessary for the journey to the distant kingdom. It was estimated by Moshtok and Tsudros to take half a lunar cycle to arrive there—some fourteen days if unobstructed.

Zaria and Branka had a mixture of feelings about the journey of their lovers, whom they knew would face great dangers. Part of them encouraged the plan to bring back their spiritual sister safely to her home. For they had, along with her, shared more than two years of captivity in the East. But the other part of their heart was rife with anxiety about when or if ever their loyal men would come back to them. If all went well, it would certainly be a full lunar month before the search party's return. If not, they stood to lose the loves of their lives and future plans for family and tranquility forever. They had only begun to taste of these joys since arriving home.

Because of this great dilemma, the two young women spent several long and tearful nights in conversation about how to endure the coming days when the party of rescuers were scheduled to depart.

"I cannot bear to be away from him," Zaria exclaimed. "I do not know what Tsudros will face. I just know It will leave me troubled. I will not eat . . . and I know I will despair for him day and night. Tsudros has become a part of me. My body and soul. He has beautified me outside and in. Oh, Branka . . . if he were to die . . . I would want to die as well."

"I feel the same," Branka replied. "There is no one in all my family or my homeland here who means as much to me Moshtok. He rescued me and gave me freely of his loving heart."

"I have decided, Branka . . . that I will go with them.  I have thought about this night and day. There is no other way. I will go mad if I am not at Tsudros' side."

"I have thought of it too, Sister.  For we have survived in that brutal land and know it's ways. You and Ihave felt the pain and ugliness Svetlana has endured with Sharvur. Perhaps our words to the Pazyryk people . . .  now that he is gone, will will bring calmness and civility there. And allow us to take Svetlana home."

"Yes. There are still good people of the Pazyryk tribe . . . like our men.  Many will remember me and what my duties were there to preserve the kingdom. They may even  believe that it was my absence which caused the instability once we had left. Total destruction of the kingdom. That is what was  prophesied by Kreido, were I not kept there as a virgin."

"Yes. And most trusted him, Zaria. They believed his decree about you . . . And in the end, as we know, it was only a plan to tame Sharvur's lust and greed."

"Yes, Branka. Kreido told me so. How false it all was. Giving me that title and place in the kingdom  was just my own bad fortune."

"Or . . . good  fortune, Zaria. For you never had to submit to the king's most  beastly habits. Those which I did in his bedchamber . . . almost nightly."

"Yes, dear Branka, you are right. I realize what you had to do to survive those nights."

"Until I made love with Moshtok, I never knew the true joys of my body. True love with a man. Only humility and pain. I expected Moshtok to be the same when he first lay with me. That all men would be cruel and demanding with their lust. But he was not. He was different and caring. He healed those wounds which I carried from Sharvur's bed and his stone castle."

"That was your  good fortune, Branka. To meet the love of your life in Moshtok."

"I share with you, Zaria . . . your plan to accompany our men back to the East. If we are to lose them, I do not want to go on living either."

"Perhaps we can be of great assistance to the party which will depart in two days . . . in finding Svetlana. I will go to the Archon tomorrow in the morning.  I will tell him our true thoughts. How we could help.  And I will also tell our leader, true as the sun . . . that I would rather die if Tsudros never returns to me."

"You are brave, Zaria. And I will go with you to be the same. I'll join you in your meeting with the Archon tomorrow. We will see him just after the sun rises in the East. To offer him our plans"

* * *

The next morning Zaria arose while the light was still pink in the sky. She stopped by Branka's house to have her join in her efforts with the Archon. But there was at that early hour, already a commotion at her friend's home. Several women from Branka's family and her extended clan were spilling out from the doorway onto the narrow street. All these women were exhibiting a joyous expression and talking incessantly in giddy tones of celebration. As Zaria moved passed the crowd of animated women into Branka and Moshtok's bedroom, she asked what was happening. It was quickly and ecstatically revealed to her by one of the younger women in the village, familiar with what was being discussed. All indications, she told her, were that Branka was presently with child!

 Zaria's sister and best friend, it seemed, was discovered to be pregnant with hers and Moshtok's baby.

This had all been determined overnight when Branka collapsed with abdominal pain and acute nausea upon returning home from her discussion with Zaria. Three of the elderly women of the village who were caregivers and acted as midwives delivering most the children born in Wahlesh--all confirmed from the simple odor of Branka's urine and tell-tale discharge, that she was indeed expecting.

Though Zaria too was elated and held her friend's hand while kissing her on the cheeks in celebration, she also knew this would seriously alter the plans which the two had only recently agreed upon. Their courageous pact was made only hours before Branka's classic symptoms had begun.

Moshtok reentered the room that morning during the celebratory confusion of formal announcements. He he had been sent out earlier during Branka's ordeal of an examination by the midwives. There was cheering for him by the women as he stepped back into the bedroom and he held Branka in his arms proudly. The private moment was wonderful for all to see. As it was an inspiration to Zaria and the other younger women in the crowded room. It spoke of the joys which love and parenthood offered them all one day.

As Zaria left Branka's house later that morning, she knew it would be impossible now for Branka to be a part of the rescue mission. The expedition would be deployed within days. She was certain the Archon would still insist upon Moshtok's presence as interpreter of the emissaries, as well as her own Tsudros.

The one thought she would impart with  that morning, beyond the joy she now felt for her sister and soulmate, Branka, was that she would not accept anything but approval to accompany her man back to the Eastern territory. It would be a painful journey she knew—but a necessary return to where she had been at once a princess, and yet a slave. But what haunted her the most was whether or not she might encounter again her evil and sadistic nemesis, Sharvur.

* * *