Preparations for the Fearful Journey

The weather was unseasonably cloudy the following day when Zaria made ready for her departure. While the queen and priestess of the Hamani tried to talk Zaria out of her perilous journey alone, they sadly also reasoned that even her departure homeward to the West was treacherous enough with regard to the marauding elements—all males who roamed the wild territories for plunder. Stopping short of providing a warrior escort for her back to the Slavic region, something that would be politically unwise for the leadership of the Hamani, the queen judiciously was willing to provide necessary supplies and, most graciously, a horse for her which had recently been confiscated from their enemies—once again the Jin warriors from a previous thwarted attack.

Zaria was again reminded by queen Thessa that her small, independent society was related, and hence forever guaranteed to be unmolested by the Amazons—a pact which had been agreed to generations ago, limiting any warring intervention against their "cousins." Many of the men in the Hamani village were, in fact, fathers of the Daughters of the Moon, as they were often invited out into the countryside to attend the 'Nights of the Stallion'—that orgiastic period instrumental to the Amazons' reproductive cycle. As mid-summer was approaching, this event was seasonally being anticipated by the Amazon leadership. Zaria's movement out across the steppes, she was told, would be more optimum for safety were she to express knowledge of this revealed compact with the Hamani. For proof of such  safe passage, Zaria was given a small, carved jade horse, sacred to the Amazons and a token of queen Thessa's intentions for her protection. What was not known to Zaria, was if this assistance would in fact be agreed to by any Amazon faction in the wilds, knowing the Amazon queen presently valued her as 'healer.' Zaria was still aware it was most likely the 'Daughters' were still searching for her. Her protection was at best a complex issue of frontier diplomacy and with no guarantees. And it remained Zaria's hope that she would not have to test the ethos of the Amazons regarding this long standing tradition.

For one full day, Zaria prepared for her travels with the bundles of rations she was generously given, and she spent much of the time grooming and affectionately tending to the small but spirited horse she was provided. Having little experiences with these animals most of her life, she relied on her association with them through her long Pazyryk escape and what she had observed of the Amazons' remarkable relationship with these essential beasts of war. "Pritel," her Slavic word for "friend," was the name Zaria ascribed to the young horse, and she was given assistance by his Hamani groomer as to how best to relate to and command the animal while on the move. A large bag of crisp, sweet roots, known to be adored by horses, was given to Zaria by the man to take with her and to be used as rewards for Pritel's cooperation.

Simple, compact cooking supplies, dried meats, fruits, a portable water container, and more abundant bedding, rounded out her provisions, which she had already amassed from the massacred Jin warriors during her earlier travels. As a female, Zaria was only too happy to include in her supplies herbal soaps and a crushed-flower paste perfume, which she had missed when thrust out into such a hostile and primitive world on the run. The Hamani women had surprisingly even perfected small bundles of sheep wool, carefully tied and shaped with delicate threads to be worn under their clothing during their days of menstruation, enhancing their comfort and creating better hygiene—something Zara had not even known to be used in the Slavic villages.

And so it was with these provisions, laden onto Pritel's back and sides that Zaria approached the Hamani village gate the following morning, with Davin scampering behind. Following her out to the to the opening was Sati, her newest friend who had taken her into her care the past days and nights. Walking up, the young woman held out a final gift to her. It was a light war sword, once used by the Amazons in their lightning charges on horseback. It was sheathed in a leather case, decorated with images of deer, and with a strap which could be draped over a war horse's neck. Sati did just this with the weapon and reached up for Zaria's hand in farewell.

"You are the bravest girl I have ever known," she told her, feigning a smile to hold back , stronger emotions of concern. "I know you will make it to your man and sister, Zaria," she said. "Just keep your strength and your power of goodness. They are your greatest weapons. For you have both, as my people have learned of you. I will dream of your stories."

Zaria leaned down steeply from Pritel's back and pulled Sati close for a kiss on the cheek.

"I will never forget you or your people, Sati. But, worry not for me. Should I return this way again, with Tsudros, Svetlana and her baby, we will all celebrate your generosity for our good fortune."

Sati simply nodded and the gate sentries opened the large wooden doors to allow Zaria to ride out in the direction of the rising sun. Her little dog Divan barked twice, running alongside, as if to say "farewell."

* * *