The Rescue

The next morning three of the Hamanti hunters offered to take Tsudros out into the wilds where they had seen "the stranger" during the past days. This was an exciting prospect for Zaria, and for Branka in particular, who had all but lost hope her lover and former teacher might have survived the pursuit of the Amazons—or even the extremes of the elements. The hunters had reported, however, that the man had a horse and was armed with a bow, and because of this observation they never were able to approach him easily.

It was believed that once this vagabond heard his countryman's voice he would let down his guard and allow their approach. To Zaria, Tsudros and Branka the fact told them that if it were Moshtok, he was not aware the villagers of the Hamanti  were so peaceful, so much the antithesis of the combatants he had been raised with or the 'Daughters of the Moon.' His defensive and evasive actions over the past six days could have only been his natural instinct to survive, while at the same time his staying in the area, a signal of his hope that his lover and comrades would themselves find their way out of their imprisonment with the Amazons.

After trekking some great distance into the hunting grounds of the Hamanti  territory, this "stranger" could have found small game to survive upon. And sure enough, the first signs of his wanderings were discovered—a recent fire ring of charred stones. Around the site were also the distinctive prints of horse's hooves in the soft earth. Tsudros was pleased with this finding and the hunters communicated, through their sign language, that the vestiges were no more than a day or so old.

Tsudros asked if it would be better now to just call out for the man in the forest. But this the three Hamanti  vehemently warned against, as they indicated many of their own nomadic enemies  might be in the area. The men seemed also not as convinced as Tsudros was that "the stranger" was the very man these foreigners sought out. Caution in any case ruled the day and the men went on quietly tracking their target, much as they would have their natural prey for food.

Late that afternoon, one of the hunters motioned to the search party to be still and to listen. Sure enough they heard in the distance the neighing of a horse. This prompted them to move in the direction slowly and cautiously. The fact that the horse-accompanied man was armed with a lethal bow and arrows gave them a respectful pace, often pausing to detect their distance to him. Within the space of a hundred paces they could hear the snorting of his horse as it drank from a small creek they traveled along. As the men waited in the bush and moved the branches apart to view the large animal, they could easily detect that it was alone, with no rider attending to it.

Suddenly directly behind them, the hunters heard a foreign voice, which they whirled around to encounter. They clutched their own bows and swords in the process and a stand-off instantly developed. Standing over them in a poised position to let fly his first arrow was the lonely "stranger," obviously with the lethal advantage.

"Tsudros!  It looks as though your beard has grown like weeds, my brother!" The "stranger's" voice called out.

Tsudros slowly smiled broadly back at him, then ran to the "stranger" joyously.

"Moshtok! . . . You live!"

"I do . . . And I see you are still standing tall, Tsudros!"

The two men embraced passionately to the relief of the hunters.

All allayed their fears instantly and there was a joyous cheer from them following the potentially lethal moment.

After several glances for signs of injury, both men noted how the other appeared gaunt and thinner since their original break from the Scythians. Moshtok put his bow back across his shoulder and walked with Tsudros towards the hunting party.

"How are our women," he asked under his breath and with much concern in his face.

"They await you . . . back in the village of these fine people," Tsudros replied reassuringly.

Tsudros could see tears of happiness in Moshtok's eyes upon hearing this news. He then motioned to the men that he wanted to fetch his horse which was still drinking and grazing nearby. After a brief rest the party of men began their long walk back to the village. Moshtok and Tsudros engaged in quiet conversation about his ordeal of survival.

When the young women who had been waiting anxiously that night for Tsudros to return,  saw their missing comrade once again, they screamed with delight. Though their memory of him was now somewhat heavier than when he had disappeared, he was nevertheless alive and well. They both showered many hugs and kisses upon him. This was followed by a long soulful embrace of Moshtok by his lover Branka. Both were now in tears as the small fire around which they stood illuminated their wet faces and gave them the feeling to all of safety and unity once more.

A sumptuous meal, including a type of fermented fruit wine, was graciously prepared for them by their benefactors, celebrating the reunion of one of their own. Following this latest act of civility by the Hamanti community, the four guests were left to retire into the privacy of their small shelter for the night. The effects of the wine were immediate, allowing them all to sleep soundly after an ordeal which had made only the slight promise that their Moshtok would ever be seen again.

Tsudros awoke much later during the night and sweetly kissed his love on the shoulder. As Zaria herself awoke, she nestled her face deeper against his neck and affectionately touched his lips with her fingers. Feeling her bare breasts against him, the two undressed  beneath a blanket and Tsudros helped her to move on top of him. Without waking up their sleeping partners, the pair did all they had so fruitfully learned of love and pleasure, only now in the small quarters of the shelter in a slow and reserved way. 

Hearing her friends still sleeping soundly and so closely, Zaria struggled to not moan out loudly as she straddled Tsudros' body with her legs and allowed him to become one with her. Their movements were tortuously tender and measured until the moment they both took a breath and froze, letting the shower of internal sparks to simultaneously explode within them.

In the blue starlight which slanted in through the open doorway the couple could see their loving friends, still sleeping soundly together and as innocent as children. Branka and Moshtok lay embracing each other in a loving manner which they had lived so painfully without since their ordeal of encountering the Daughters of the Moon. 

Kissing Tsudros one more time and smiling at him in the semi-darkness, Zaria knew now their goal would soon be to depart the walled village of the civilized Hamanti and press on to the western lands of other cultures, hopefully even more steeped in a life of comfort and civility. This taste of true peace and freedom to Zaria and Tsudros was even more intoxicating than the wine.

* * *