Chapter 7

Art was not the least bit surprised to see David sitting on the front stoop chatting away with Mrs. Pritchard, when he walked up the pavement. David had changed into black, high-waisted blouson pants and tight white oxford, unbuttoned halfway down her chest, a colorful paisley scarf tucked inside.

"Welcome home, love," David said warmly when he approached. "Doris and I have been having a lovely chat."

Mrs. Pritchard squeezed David's hand. "She is simply darling, Arthur," said the old lady. "I didn't know you had such a lovely sister."

Art looked at David quizzically, who answered, "I was just telling Doris how we're practically siblings."

Arthur stared.

"You know? How you and I grew up together at the group home until I was adopted by mum and dad and moved to England when I was ten?"

Arthur slumped. So they were practically siblings. That was her story. Related. There was no room for romance here. Not that he thought of her like that or anything (like he had a chance), and she was obviously too young for him, and way too skinny. And she was a man in her past life, don't forget about that, Arthur. Sure, a beautiful, gender morphing man who looked just like Lauren Bacall. He knew she wanted him to play along, but he was struck so dumbfounded he was at a loss for words.

David continued. "I was devastated," she told Mrs. Pritchard. "Of course I was thrilled to be getting adopted, but I was terrified of moving across the ocean, and absolutely gutted about leaving Art. He was my only friend." She looked at him sadly, like it had really happened.

"I don't believe that for a second," said Mrs. Pritchard, "a friendly young lady like you always has a lot of friends."

"I wasn't always a friendly young lady," said David honestly.

"Oh, Arthur," said Mrs. Pritchard. "Do you believe that?"

Art shrugged.

David continued. "I was awkward. I didn't really fit in anywhere. Sometimes I cried my heart to sleep. But Art, Art was always so kind to me."

"I know he was," said Mrs. Pritchard. "He's the nicest person in the building. I keep telling him he needs to find a nice young girl, don't you think? He's a catch."

"Hear that, Art? You're a catch. I knew I wasn't the only one who thought that," said David. "Doris showed me a brilliant men's clothing store earlier, and we bought you some things."

Arthur found his voice. "Shopping? For me? Thank you. Thank you, Mrs. Pritchard. How kind of you."

"We decided you needed new clothes to go with your new look," David said.

Art held up the grocery bags he was holding. "I got your milk, and some things."

David stood up. "And my gin?"

Art nodded.

"Doris," said David, "would you like to come up for a drink?"

The old woman slowly rose to her feet, Art offering an arm which she declined. "Not tonight, dear, thank you. I had better get back inside. My program is about to start."

"Another time, then?" David asked.

"Another time indeed," said Mrs. Pritchard. "It was so lovely meeting you, David, and I had a wonderful time out and about with you."

"The pleasure was all mine," David replied, helping the elderly woman into the building. "We will do it again soon. I'll be visiting for quite a while, I hope."