Chapter 4: Some Weirdass Rivers Aren't Good

I frowned as what I felt was a water source grew closer. Even Mrs.O'Leary was acting a bit strange and I had to actually put her on my shoulders to help reassure her (Thankfully she was that small).

I frowned even more when I actually saw the water. It was a eerie dark green like it was polluted, small bits were passing through it like broken promises.

Stories were threatening to enter my mind but just couldn't seem to get past the lock that was blocking my memories.

Part of me felt like putting my hand in the water, seeing how it would react but part of me just knew that it wouldn't suffice.

I knelt beside the river and just watched as the currents carried things, spotting a silver pocketwatch, some sort of handkerchief, video games, but most of the river seemed to be composed of money and some sort of dark shadows that acted as if they were swimming.

I would've thought nothing of it if I hadn't heard faint screaming. Flinching when a scream got louder as it was more closer to the shore where I was then other, it quieted as it passed me and moved down the river.

"What is this?" I muttered to myself and looked for some sort of way across. Frown deepening when I didn't see some sort of bridge but instead an eerie figure in a dark cloak in some sort of gondola.

I hesitated for a second but then the figure turned and just looked at me, the only person that wasn't monster that seemed to actually see me.

I don't know if that was reassuring or not, he looked human but instincts were telling me to be careful, that not everything you see is actually there or can be manipulated.

A faint image of an older me and Loki popped in my head and some sort of prank with Sigyn (whoever that was but I could feel myself be annoyed and disgusted with her)

Slowly, I felt myself walking toward the shadow, creepy man who turned back toward the gondola. I hushed and reassured Mrs.O'Leary who started to whimper a tad bit as we drew near.

"Who are you?" I asked as we got near the man but still a good distance away that if need be, I can turn away and run the other way or fight him if need be.

The man turned back toward me and I felt myself tense into what seemingly was impossible because the man's eyes were pitch black, like he was staring into your soul and judging you.

Even if he was pretty much the first human-like person I have seen, I just knew that his eyes were not suppose to be like that.

Although I wasn't suppose to be invisible so what did I really know.

"You are expected." The guy said and moved away from the place where I assumed I was suppose to go. Still feeling tense I slowly moved toward the guy.

Something was keeping me from asking the guy what he meant, like I already knew but didn't at the same time.

It wasn't until I sat in the seat with Mrs.O'Leary that the guy started to move the gondola that I felt it was safe to ask a question, "Who are you?" I asked ignoring the stink-eye (I think it's a bit hard to tell with the eyes) at Mrs.O'Leary.

"People call me Charon in this century." The guy now Charon said, but why did his name sound so familiar. Not only that but why did he look so familiar, like I have seen him before?

"What did they previously call you?" I asked shifting a tad in the boat as screams went past us as we drifted through the river to what I assumed was the other side.

Charon continued to look forward instead at me and for a brief, awkward moment neither of us spoke, him still not answering me.

"The older Greeks would call me Kharon." Charon finally said after the few minutes, or at least the equivalent to minutes, time is hard to tell.

I frowned again, not exactly from what Charon had said but how did I know time, how did I know that I was really dead and not alive? How did I just know that Charon isn't suppose to just give me a ride, that you're suppose to have something on you when you die to pass?

There was also the fact that Greeks seemed so familiar. Poseidon, Zeus, Hades....Hades as in the Greek God of the Underworld.

Yet, I knew this wasn't the underworld, because the underworld had Fields of Punishment, Fields of Asphodel, and then the Elysium.

This was no Greek Underworld. So where was I? Answers were at the tip of my tongue that just didn't seem to want to speak and ask them.

Closing my eyes hoping that wherever Charon was taking me would lead to answers.

One of those revolving around the gems that were around my neck that would sometimes glow but mostly didn't do anything, yet had power behind them.

I just hope I didn't die (again) before I get the answers.