Chapter 5: Past Memories

"Why is the Alfather like that to you and I?" A six year old me asked Loki who stood about a foot taller.

"Just ignore him Percy." Loki said slightly patting my head absently as he was reading not really paying attention.

"It's hard 'cause he ignores you, I can handle being ignored but you shouldn't." I said slightly pushing Loki to gain more of his attention.

It seemed to have worked or my words really affected him because he let his book fall to his stomach as he looked at me a bit surprised but then he gave me a reassuring smile, "I swear it's okay." Loki said ruffling my hair trying to get me to smile.

But my serious look didn't leave, "But it's not. You shouldn't be ignored as much as you are. He just needs to get away from Thor and see that." I insisted and even put my foot down for emphasis.

Loki's face turned sad as he moved his book to the side by his bedside table (which admittedly might've been from Midgard) and he patted the side right next to him.

Instantly climbing onto his bed I moved and laid down right next to him and closed my eyes still feeling anger pulsed through me.

"Thor is going to be king someday. With how he is acting, he will need help and needs to learn. That is where Odin comes in to teach." Loki said as he slowly started to rub my back and help ease the anger out of me instead of allowing it to boil.

"That's why you should be king. You know more than he does." I muttered as I shifted my head so my chin was resting on his chest as I stared at my brother.

Loki's smile turned sad, his eyes reflecting that he also wished it too, "That's not how Asgard works brother and you know it." Loki said and gentle sat up making me sit up too.

"Let's go prank someone." Loki declared knowing that our pranks normally make me feel better.

"Why don't you read to me instead." I said not feeling like really moving or getting in trouble for pranking someone.

Loki gave me a small smile, "The normal?" He asked and when he saw I nodded, grabbed the 1877 novel, Black Beauty which was a favorite  book my birth mom always read.

"You know, soon enough you can read this whole book." Loki teased as he settled back onto the bed with the book in his lap and me resting against him.

"Where's the fun in that. Then I can't have my big brother read to me." I said with a smile and relaxed against Loki allowing myself to forget Odin, Thor, and how Asgard is mean to those who were born outside of it.

I woke up with a start with Mrs.O'Leary sleeping on my chest and the boat gently rocking back and forth.

It seemed we haven't landed on the other side just yet but it seemed we were getting closer. Or at least I had hopped, I don't know how much longer I could deal with the yelling as background noise.

I don't even know how I hadn't dreamed of yelling instead of whatever it was that I was dreaming of. All I really know is that Thor was a clueless king-to-be, Loki would've been more suited, and that Loki was always there from me (at least that's what I gathered).

Giving a small smile to my reflection as I stared into the water, I suddenly felt what I would call home-sick.

Sighing I opened my mouth to start a conversation with Charon but decided against it knowing exactly what happened last time and instead played with the gemstones around my neck.

The answers to what they were and how they contributed to the state I was in (because let's be honest, it had something to do with it) but I just couldn't seem to grasp anything.

Like everything that I needed was a puddle of water slipping through my fingers, or turning into mist and flying away from me, never allowing me to find out what was there.

Petting Mrs.O'Leary who was still sleeping on my chest somehow, I felt her shuffle and settle into a more deeper sleep.

"Well find answers soon enough girl." I said trying to reassure myself but doubts still plagues my absent mind.

"We'll find them." I said but the words still felt nothing as I stared at the red ceiling that was above me lost in my thought.

"Whoever 'they' are, we'll find them." I said as an afterthought