On Your Own

The parking lot of the chateau was full-packed now and people were walking out from their cars, dressed elegantly and acting so refinedly. 

Alliyah and I made our way to the entrance. The victorian lobby greeted us once more and the piano's music was all around once again. I could tell the doors to the room of the party were open because the music of the piano was much stronger. I examined the whole room and noticed that the people were mostly wearing red, different variations of it, but red still. I fit right in. Alliyah stood out and already attracted attention, as always.

It wasn't because of her hair that was beautifully done by herself, nor was it her sparkling stilletoes, but simply because she had a blue dress on. While all of them had red. What was up here?

I went to the counter where the woman from yesterday was busy making a phone call, she put the phone on hold then addressed me.

"Yes, can I help you?" 

I took the receipt out my bag then showed her.

"Right." she said. She searched the organizer behind her then found the keys. I just put it in my bag. I doubt we'd ever use our room.

Alliyah whispered to me, "I think there's some sort of theme here." 

And she was right. We walked to where the party was being held. I was easily permitted inside when I showed the busboy who guarded the room my keys. But he stopped Alliyah.

I cleared my throat. I was nervous and needed a drink of water ASAP.

"She's with me." I told the man.

"Sorry," he sternly said. "She isn't allowed in." 

"Why?" Alliyah and I asked in unison. 

The man didn't move anything else but his arm as he pointed to the same sign Alliyah and I saw yesterday that announced it was Muzz Elliot's birthday and so forth. But yesterday, we didn't read any further from the big letters. It also added, in a small font size, that the theme was red. You weren't allowed in if you didn't wear red.

Alliyah and I gaped as we stared at each other. 

"What now, Seph?" She asked me.

I shook my head. I didn't know. What was I suppose to do without Alliyah?

"Please, sir," I pleaded with the strict-faced man, "you have to let her in!"

He just said, "Sorry, miss. Madam Elliot would be upset to see that someone didn't follow the theme."

I looked down at the floor. Alliyah took my hand in hers.

"It's okay," she whispered, "you can do it on your own." I looked into her green eyes. It soothed me so.