00.

[ reworked 2/10/2022]

THE TRUCK SEEMED TO DULL as Mercedes sat in the parking lot, taking in deep gasps of air. Music played over the radio, dulled by the roaring in her ears. She wasn't a romantic, least not like what one might "classify" as romantic, yet here she was, trying for the girl she adored. Cedes was trying to do better, especially after the fight she had with Lily over the phone just the other day. 

Apparently Cedes lacked the need to reach out. She was far too independent, according to Lily, She "needed to reach out more", because Lily claimed she wanted more attention. Even though any time Cedes reached out to make plans, she was brushed off and told that Lilith had things going on.

Tilting her head side to side, she could feel her neck popping once to the left and nothing to the right. That would annoy her later, but at least it distracted her enough to calm her racing heart. Lilith wanted more romantic gestures, so the awkward Seattle gal was breaking out of her comfort zone and trying to reach out to her distant girlfriend. 

Fingers absentmindedly rubbed at the leather cuffs on her jacket, she used that to steady herself and calm her breathing down. If she didn't, a panic attack would be right around the corner. Many might wonder why such things like bringing flowers to your girlfriend at her high school could cause such a reaction, but Mercedes really didn't like going out of her comfort zone.

But Lily was worth it.

Reaching over, Cedes grabbed the bouquet of white roses, her favorite, and opened the door. It creaked under her weight as a heel clicked against the pavement. She could hear the wind rushing against the side of her vehicle, she then pushing her curls back behind the collar of her jacket. 

Sliding out of the bronco, she felt her dark brown waves whip about, getting life from the feisty weather. Pushing a strand behind her pierced ear, Mercedes shut the door and hit the lock button on her keys. Chocolate orbs were wrapped by black eyeliner and mascara as they zoned in on the front door of the La Push High School.

Taking in another lungful of air, Cedes made her way across the small parking lot and up the steps, only to then push against the front door. Thanks to Lily, Mercedes had formed a friendship with Lilith's cousin, Jacob, and because of the conversations she had with him, she knew Lily should be in Algebra with him.