04

THE RAIN CONTINUED TO POUR as Mercedes stood inside the shop, the large garage doors wide open and allowing the cool breeze to wash in and over her with ease.

     The girl reached up and fixed her Ford brimmed hat, making sure her ponytail was still held in place, before she turned and glanced back at her fellow coworker, Jon.

     "I'm telling ya, no one's coming in today, Cedes," the man spoke, wiping his hands on a paper towel. His large arms were practically ripping his top, he far too muscled to wear a size medium. The girl sighed before looking back outside.

     As much as she hated to be wrong, she knew he was right.

     Heavy footsteps thudded against the pavement as Jon walked over, standing besides and towering over the small girl easily. "At least we were able to finish the guy's engine without any interruptions, right?"

     Nodding, Mercedes then rubbed her face. "Yeah, I guess."

     The door for the office opened, revealing a lean male in his late 40's, a man Mercedes had the privilege to call 'Dad'.

     "Cedes! Some guys are here claiming to be your friends from La Push!" He yelled before returning to his office, she feeling her eyes widen.

     Was Jake here? Ever since that movie fiasco he said he was going to a while ago, she hadn't heard from him. He better have a reason for that. Tossing a grin at her coworker, the girl jogged over towards the main entrance, the office being right next to it.

     However, as she yanked the door open and walked through, she wasn't expecting to see him.

     "What? Blue balls not enough?" she asked, crossing her arms over her chest, as she looked up into the eyes of none other than Paul Lahote.

     Another guy was with him, one she didn't recognize, but her attention only flickered towards the younger one briefly before returning to Paul. He was like a magnet, as much as she hated to think it.

     "Nice overalls," Paul spoke, a smirk evident over his features. The girl rolled her eyes before looking at him more.

     "Flattery will get you nowhere, Lahote. Now what the hell do you want?"

     Reaching up, Paul ran his fingers through his short hair, looking down at her, his girl.

     "Just bring her a vehicle to work on," Jake had told him, he then glancing towards his truck and inwardly sighing. He really didn't have the money to go spending for a ton of fixer uppers, but he could do something.

     "My transmission is acting up. Think you can look my baby over?"

     "You have to make an appointment," she tried to say, not really wanting to do it. He simply raised an eyebrow.

     "You're probably dead as fuck back there. Come on, it won't kill ya."

     A groan left her lips before she sighed. "Fine, pull into the first open garage. I'll look the damn thing over." It seemed that was all Paul had to hear before grinning excitedly and running out into the rain. Mercedes hadn't realized it, but she watched as his back muscles flexed beneath the soaked shirt he wore while he got into his truck and brought the beast to life.

     A clearing of a throat brought her back to her senses. Glancing over, she noticed the other still standing there grinning, he seeing her checking his buddy out. Narrowing her eyes, Cedes pointed at him.