01.

—↠ 01. distance.
[ 2/12/2022 ]

Two weeks

Two weeks.

MERCEDES COULD FEEL the warmth coming from the blankets as she was bundled like a burrito on the couch, mindlessly staring at the TV as some commercial played. The noises were blurred to her, she lost in thought. Her phone buzzed again on the kitchen counter, she vaguely hearing its insistent noise reach her. Yet she didn't move a muscle. She knew it had been two weeks, or so, since she last spoke to anyone other than those she was forced to. Two weeks since the incident in the High School on the Res.

She could only imagine the rumors spreading.

A low groan left her lips as she leaned back against the cushions, eyes going up to the ceiling and hoping it'd swallow her whole. She had friends stop by, knocking on the front door and asking to see her when she avoided their texts and calls, but apparently one hadn't gotten the memo. Her eyes moved towards the front door at the constant pounding before her head followed the direction. It had started as casual knocking, but when she hadn't moved a muscle for a good ten minutes, she could vaguely hear Jacob's voice on the other side demanding she open. Apparently her vehicle being in the driveway gave her away.

With a begrudging sigh, Mercedes slowly pushed off from the couch and let her muscles stretch for the first time in hours. Wrapping the blanket tight around her still pajama clothed form, she slowly trudged her way to the front door and unlocked the hatch. She knew her hair was a wild mane, and that her attire was rumbled to a point of being worn all day and night, but Mercedes could care less at this point.

Upon seeing Jake on the other side of the now slightly opened door, she gave a slow rise of an eyebrow. But apparently her appearance warranted no words to be given, for the boy gently pushed the door open and pulled her against his chest, arms wrapping around her and holding her close. It was like when someone asked those dreaded words of 'are you okay?' and causing those walls to crumble for tears to fall.

Her face pressed into him as her walls crumbled upon contact.

Despite it being two weeks, she truly believed that Lily had been the one. Back then, at least. Now, she just felt lost, confused, and hurt. If someone was that upset in a relationship, why not simply end it? She could feel Jacob wrap his arm over her shoulder and direct her back to the comfort of the couch she had been huddled on. For someone as strong as she normally came off as, her voice showed exactly how vulnerable she felt deep within.