Chapter 1

I woke up to sunlight hitting my face lightly. I stretched, knowing that today, will be one of the best days of my life. The day I will find my mate. I'm a werewolf, and every boy and girl begin the process of finding their mate on their seventeenth birthday.
Most girls dread this day. Mostly because they don't want to be tied down so young, or you just never know who your gonna get. I've never been that way, I just know my mate will be like my prince. After taking a shower, I dress in a navy blue blouse and black jeans. I brush out my long black hair,and pull on some black ankle boots.
When I leave my room, my little sister Marie comes rushing at me.
"Emma, your gonna find your mate today!"
"Maybe, you munchkin," I chuckle.
She mumbles something as I walk away, letting the smell of bacon lead me. My mom is humming to herself. We give each other the morning greetings, and she gives me a plate of bacon and eggs.
"So, the whole mate thing is happening today huh?" my mom jokes.
"Mom, don't joke, its important."
"I know, I'm just worried, you never know who it is, what if he hurts you?"
"Mom, I won't let that happen. Besides, who could do that to their mate?"
Before she answers, a car horn honks. Knowing who it was, I grab my backpack, telling my mom bye, I exit out the front door.My best friend Amy is waiting for me in her old pickup truck. She smiles as I get in.
"Soooooo," she says.
"Soooooo," I reply.
"Um, your gonna find your mate!"she says exitedely.
"Yeah, I know, I wonder who it is!" I beam.
She pushes back her midnight black hair, "I'm just happy I start finding mine tomorrow.
"I bet you will have the perfect mate," I say, sighing.
"Oh come on Emma, nothing is perfec."
"Well, as close to perfect as it can get.
Amy smiles. She is such a beautiful soul, anyone is lucky to have her. Her dark chocolate skin is blemish free, and she has the brightest brown eyes. Shes so pretty, and shes incredibly smart and kind.
I almost feel bad for my mate.My features in my opinion are boring with my black hair, and hazel eyes. Im kind of smart,but I am really nice. But forget about that, my mate will love me unconditionally. We pull into the school. My heart is beating fast, and I can't control it. What if my mates in there? I almost don't want to go in, but my fairytale has to begin somewhere.
We walk in, and walk past the kids. It feels like everything is in slow motion. It feels as if everyones voices are a million miles away. I keep my head up, pretending like I'm not freaking out on the inside. We keep walking until a smell hits me. Like rain, and wood. I freeze, Amy stops to, looking concerned. I keep my eyes ahead of me. There are people in the way, but finally I see him. The one who the intoxicating scent belongs to. He is looking at me with an expression I can't make out. I see his lips move. Mate, he says. I recognize his raven black hair, same color eyes, strong, talk build as Rider. The schools bad boy. My mind is going crazy, a thousand thoughts a minute. No no no no. This can't be. This is NOT a fairytale! Before he reaches me, I spin around, running for the exit. Away from my mate, my future.