Chapter 3

It was good to be back. Courtney was sitting in Travis Waxler's office, her mind was drifting toward the warm summer day outside the office window. The sun was calling to her.

"Hello?" Waxler said impatiently.

Courtney snapped back to the present. "No." she answered, "we didn't find any other hard drives."

"Too bad." Waxler responded. "The one you did get will give us enough intel to bring down half the operation."

"What about my mystery shooter?" Courtney asked.

"We got him. Satellite tracked him along the rooftop for a while. He ducked into a building 50 yards away. 10 minutes later he emerged onto the street below. He had changed and was wearing a hat but it was the same man."

"Who was he?" Courtney asked

" His name is Mikeal Woodkoff. He's a Russian national. " Waxler responded, "We had thought he was dead long ago until he turned up on satellite the other day."

Courtney sat up. She was intrigued.

Waxler continued, "This is where it gets pretty strange. He's a top level assassin. He doesn't miss. If he wanted you dead, you wouldn't be sitting here now."

"Then why am I alive?"

"We don't know. All we can guess right now is that he wants to get our attention."

"Mission accomplished," Courtney said fading back toward the sun soaked outdoors.

"Hold on, it gets better. Now that we know he's alive we ran a face recognition trace and got a match."

"Where is he?" Courtney asked.

"Costco. One of the world's deadliest assassins has been stocking shelves for about 3 months."

"Well, let's go haul his ass in." Courtney said, excitedly.

"It's not that easy," Waxler responded.

"Why, just because you don't have a membership? I'll pay 55 dollars or whatever to..."

"No!" Waxler interrupted. "He may be trying to reach out to us for whatever reason. This may be his way of getting in touch. We need to you to get a job there."

Courtney just stared at him. Waxler didn't cave. The silence got more intense as time passed.

Finally Courtney answered. "You know I can kill you with a Q-tip, right?"

"It's got to be done. And it has to be you. That bullet near your head was a personal invite."

"Fine, I'll do it."

"Great you start at 5am on Wednesday next week.

"You suck!" Courtney snapped.

"Oh and you need to buy some steel toe shoes." Waxler said with a smirk.

"Forget it. I don't like them."

"Sorry. It's policy. " Waxler answered.

"I once took out 75 North Koreans in flip flops. I can manage without steel toed boots."

"Safety first." Waxler sung with a laugh.

Courtney flipped him the bird and walked out.