Chapter 1

I closed in on her. Her eyes, wide with fear, could tell it was the end. She walked backwards, clutching at her arm, trying to keep the torn flesh together. She almost walked off the chasm, her heel falling off and kicking a few pebbles down. She eyed downwards at the chasm and turned back towards me. She looked me in the eye, and a tear streamed down her face. She shook her head.

"I guess I never had a chance anyway. Not with you still alive." I smirked at her and shrugged.

"Guess not." I answered her. I raised my sword above my head, ready to make the last cut through her neck that would end this. I would be victor. I smiled at the thought. But there apparently were other plans. She released her ripped arm and grabbed a hidden knife from her waistline. She stabbed me in the stomach, and ripped it back out. I dropped the sword, clutching my stomach, trying to staunch the blood rushing out. She gave me a toothy smile.

"Guess I still did have a chance, huh?"

I sat straight up in bed, in a cold sweat. I pressed the heel of my hand against my chest, trying to relax my thumping heart. I sighed and released my muscles, slamming the back of my body back down to my bed. I closed my eyes and tried to replay the dream's events in my head. But I already had forgotten most of it. Me and my stupid memory. I opened my eyes again, useless to try and fall back asleep. I fumbled under my sheet, looking for my bear. I grabbed his paw and pulled him out from underneath me. Yes, I'm 16, and I have a teddy bear. Problem? I crushed him against me, but not even Teddy (yes, his name is Teddy, I was like 5 when I named him, okay?) could stop my heart from racing today. The Reaping. And this year, was the 100th quarter quell. I'm sure President Snow had many special things in store for today. I smiled at the thought of it. I heard thumps coming up the stairs towards my room. My little sister burst through the door.

"Vanessa, c'mon, the Capitol announcement is on!" I laughed at her as she tugged at my hand trying to pull me out of bed. 

"I'm coming Cass, I'm coming!" I hopped up out of my bed and ran downstairs to the family T.V. My father was already sitting there waiting for us. He smiled when he saw us.

"Good morning girls." He said to us, his usual pleasant voice rang out.

"Morning, dad." I said excitedly as I sat down in front of the T.V. Snow was standing in front of us. His voice, deep and old, stood out in the silence of all of Panem. He gave a small smile to us. I could tell everyone in the world was on the edge of their seats, just waiting for the words to come falling off his lips. I realized he already started before I was out of bed.

"To mark the 100th anniversary of the Hunger Games, a result of the rebels trying to bring down Panem, we will be pulling two cards, from the box." 

I couldn't stop biting my nails. The small boy in the white suit came forward with a sleek, brown box. My foot bounced impatiently on the ground. President Snow, ran his fingers on the top of the cards, stopping when he got to the divider that read "4th Quarter Quell". He took his sweet time pulling out the two, bright white cards that held the future. He cleared his throat and began to read.

"First, as I reminder to the rebels that to lose control cost us thousands of lives, any tribute who is chosen for the Hunger Games, may choose to volunteer another tribute of the same sex to take your place." My heart stopped for a minute. Did he really just say what I thought he said. My grin cut across my face. I looked at my sister through the corner of my eye, and she looked scared to death. I scrunched my eyebrows together. Why was she nervous? My chances of getting picked for the Games soared! Every child in District 12 dreads the thought of going into the games. Both of the chosen tributes will most likely choose a new tribute. My heart skipped a beat. I actually had a chance this year! I was so excited I almost didn't hear what President Snow said next. 

"And as a celebration of having the Hunger Games for one century this year, tributes will stay in the arena for exactly one year!"

Not even a Peacekeeper bursting down the door and killing my father could take away my smile.