Chapter 5

"No, Alten, wait! I volunteer as tribute!" 

His voice echoed within my head. I would never forget him speak those words. I turned towards the window and looked outside. District 12 sat in front of me. It would be one of the only things I would miss in the arena. I bit my lip down hard and tasted blood. The wooden door opened as people walked into the room. I turned away from the window and towards them. It was my sister and father. My sister's face was tear-stained. She ran over to me and embraced me in a hug. My father gave me a look, saying to accept the love. I reluctantly placed my hands on her shoulders. She pulled away and looked up at me, fresh tears sliding down. 

"You have to win," she whispered. I didn't bother answering her. I looked up and my dad, and he came over to relieve me. He gently touched her shoulder.

"Why don't you go see if anyone else is going to visit," he suggested. "I want to talk to Vanessa." 

She nodded slowly, wiping her face of tears. She pulled open the wooden door and walked out. My father turned his attention back towards me. He enveloped me in a bear hug, and I chuckled a little. 

"C'mon, don't turn into Cassia," I joked.

"Never in your dreams," he replied. He pulled away from me. 

"I would tell you good luck, but I know you don't need it." I nodded in understandment. He knew how long I had been waiting for this. A peacekeeper opened the door again.

"Time's up," he said in a rough voice. My father kissed me on the forehead and whispered his last words to me.

"Goodbye, Vanessa." He turned around and walked out with the peacekeeper, not giving me another look. The door closed behind him, and I was left alone in my thoughts again. It wasn't too long before the door opened once more, but this time it was Wren. His eyes were big, and his face was pale. He walked over and quickly grabbed me, pulling me close to his chest.

"They almost didn't let me see you," he murmured. I didn't answer him. I wrapped my arms tightly around his neck, and we stood there like that for a while. 

"I have no doubt that you can win this," he whispered again in my ear. For the first time today, I felt tears sting my eyes. Another thing I would miss in the arena, is Wren. He was my best friend. I heard the door open, and I knew a peacekeeper would be coming for him. I grabbed him tighter. 

"Don't forget about me, Wren," I breathed. He looked at me right in the eye, his gray ones soft. 

"Never," he assured to me quietly. The peacekeeper pulled him back, but before the door closed, I heard one last thing come out of his mouth. It was so quiet, I wasn't sure if my ears were even meant to hear it. 

"I love you, Vanessa." The wooden door seperated us. I ran over and pounded my fist to the oak. But it was no use. There was no opening that door. I sunk to the floor and huddled with my forehead resting on my knees. Did I hear him correctly? Did he say he loved me? 

"I love you, Vanessa." I repeated the words in my head again. He called me Vanessa. Only once, in my entire life did he call me Vanessa, and it was the first time we'd ever met. I closed my eyes and another tear streaked my face. I quickly wiped them away. I looked at myself in the glass mirror the room held. My face was splotchy, and I had a runny nose. I wiped my face dry and tried to fix the splotchiness as best as I could. There  would be cameras out there, I must look my best. There weren't any tissues in the room, so I just wiped my nose on the back of my hand. The door opened one last time. But it wasn't any visitor. It was Effie Trinket.

"Time to go."