Chapter 20: Taylor

Stupid Lyle, someone must have tipped him off. Everyone knew he was stealing food, but they didn't voice it until today.

Offering day.

Of course, we only ever found out about things closer to offering day due to others not wanting to be said offering.

No one ever volunteered to be an offering, so we chose those who were not supporting the group, not pulling their weight, or stealing like in Lyle's case.

"You stupid bitch! This isn't gunna solve nothing!" He spat as he was tied to the post out in the school yard. I stuffed a sock in his mouth and held his chin in my hand as he struggled. I pushed it upwards and stared into his eye.

"Nothing you could say now will change your fate." I ground out, staring into his terrified eyes.

I shook my head, dropping my hands to my side and stepping back. As much as we didn't like this, we had no choice.

I pulled my knife out and cut his arm, giving him the mark. A small symbol on his right arm was made in order to let them know that he was the offering.

We never wanted it this way, and it definitely wasn't something we were proud of.

It was the only way to ensure the safety of our group.

They came around the corner, three of them. The leader was always here to check if the "offering" was good. He looked human from afar, they all did. Once he got closer, though, anyone could see the clear discoloration in his eyes and the faded bite mark on his neck. Once a  stunning young man, now a monster. He was still well built, his arms and body still containing the muscle mass. His dark messy hair fell in front of his face as he entered the school yard.

He came up fast, looking over the offering. His eyes met mine as he smelled the offering's neck, then nodded shortly, looking away. One could speculate that he was making sure his food wasn't poisoned or already infected and possibly scenting him to make sure that if he got away they could track him. None of us knew the real reason, but we had come up with a few assumptions.

Lyle looked at his arm as I pulled the rope away, freeing him up from the post. It was as human as I could get in this situation, giving Lyle somewhat of a fair chance without a weapon. He ripped the sock out of his mouth and I shook my head. No one would come to help him, no matter how much he pleaded.

"No, please! Don't let them take me Taylor!" He screamed, running forwards at me. I side stepped him as he reached for my knife. I slammed my foot into his shin, the runners coming forwards to grab him.

We went back inside, making sure that none of the new people who had joined us recently saw anything. I didn't see anyone when we walked through the off limits hallway. Lisa might understand and potentially that Karen lady, but I wasn't going to explain my decisions if I didn't have to.

"Taylor, we need to make sure that the food is secure. Who do you want to reassign to the food room?" One of my most trusted men questioned and I shook my head. The new additions still didn't have placements, and I thought about the young eye-candy Lisa shared a room with.

"Lisa's friend Blake would be a good fit. We shall see." I said, then went over to my room. I closed the door on my men, then went over to my dresser. I pushed the dresser aside and opened the closet door, going inside. There was my own personal stash of food and such hiding behind my dresser. I hid most of my stuff because a lot of people in our group steal when they can, even though the rules forbid it. If I ever caught them trying to steal from me, though, I would drag them straight to the runners.

The others here don't know that I know the school like I do, aside from Lisa, and with that I know all the hiding spots people use for their stuff.

Picking up my brush and mascara, I sat down at my mirror. I grabbed a chocolate bar from inside my jewellery box and took a bite. I only had half left but I deserved it. Offering day always stressed me out.

I wish we didn't have to do it, but we did. If not, we'd all die.

This was the only way.