Chapter 10: Beverly

I heard the glass smash and scatter on the floor downstairs. I slowly got out of the bed and grabbed my bag, a small dagger clutched in my hand. I wondered what was going on. My hand shook as I reached for the doorknob. I opened it slowly and walked out, my bag hanging down from both shoulders. I had yet to adjust it, seeing as both clasps always came loose; I needed a new bag but didn't want to give up my one piece of home.

Cindy screamed. It seemed to have come from downstairs. I walked to the corner and leaned my backpack against it. I slowly peered around the corner. Maggy was the next to scream and I started to worry. I peered at the front door and stood in shock at what I was witnessing.

There were people entering the house.

Armed people.

Real. Live. People.

I was about to rush down the stairs and greet them when someone covered my mouth. I just about screamed when Jack turned me around to face him.

"I don't think they're here to be friends." He whispered, nodding in the direction of the stairs.

"What do they want?" I asked quietly and he shrugged.

"I don't know, but Cindy and Maggy were downstairs making breakfast. I need to know if they're okay. I'm going to go downstairs, and you're going to stay up here where it's safe." He said and I nodded, trembling in fear. I didn't want him to leave me alone up here, I was scared enough as is.

"Jack, I'm scared," I said quietly as I fumbled with the dagger in my hands.

"It's going to be okay." He said, then walked down the stairs.

"Hey, what are you-" Jack said when a shot rang out throughout the house.

I heard a body collapse to the ground with a thud and my eyes widened as I realized it was Jack.

I screamed and ran back into my room.

Tears poured from my eyes as I desperately looked for a place to hide. I could hear Maggy screaming from downstairs; she must be terrified.

Where are Blake and Lisa?

I sat down in the corner between the bed and the nightstand, clutching my dagger in both hands, staring at the door. I could hear footsteps coming up the stairs and quickly wiped at my eyes with the back of my hands. I started to hyperventilate, unable to control my breathing.

No no no.

Please. No.

I don't want to die.

The door handle jiggled, then turned slowly. The person on the other side pushed it open slowly.

I screamed again.

A young boy walked in, about 5'4, with blonde scruffy looking hair and blue eyes. He spotted me and stood there for a second, before raising his gun in my direction. I dropped my dagger and cowered closer to the corner, both of my hands covering my face. He lowered his gun slightly and came over to me slowly.

"Kick the dagger here if you want to live." He said and I did what he wanted, moving slowly. I kicked it to him and he picked it up, holstering his gun to his hip. He stayed kneeling and stared at me.

"I'm Kye." He said, putting out his hand for me to shake. It was a few inches from my face and I wanted to shake it, but I just stared at his hand. He lowered his hand and stood up.

"What's your name?" he questioned and my jaw trembled as I tried to speak.

"Bb- Bev." I stuttered and he nodded. He closed the space between us and grabbed both of my hands, hoisting me up to my feet.