Chapter 5: Lisa

I pulled up to the campground, slowing to a stop next to the main entrance. I turned my car off and sighed, opening the door. I left the keys in the ignition because you never know what could happen; if I had to get away quickly and couldn't find my keys, myself and anyone with me would be screwed. Plus, who's going to steal my car? First of all, we haven't seen another living human for a month who could steal it AND it's a 2001 silver Kia Magentis.

To put that into perspective, it won't be stolen. Barely anyone knows what my car is. It's an automatic and has a few flaws but it's been a good and reliable ride for years.

I stepped out of the car and slowly ran my right hand through my dirty blonde hair. It was tangled and greasy.

If I could have anything aside from food right now, it would be a shower.

It was very probably that I may never have one again. I casually tilted my head into my shoulder and breathed in, scrunching my nose at the stench. I put my bag down on the gravel road and knelt next to it, searching for my deodorant stick. I pulled it out along with a half-eaten granola bar. I took a bite of the hardened granola and put the bar on the ground so I could continue eating it after.

I pulled off the cap of the stick of non-scented deodorant. The plastic that held the deodorant itself was showing in the middle, and there was only a small bit left.

Damn. I would need to find another one soon, or I would start to smell really bad. Just because it was the end of the world didn't mean I had to live like a cave dweller.

I put on the deodorant and shoved it back into my bag. I stood up, slinging the bag over my shoulder and holding the half-eaten granola bar in my hand. Blake was sitting on top of an old trailer, staring off into the distance. He must be on watch. I climbed up the rickety ladder on the side of the trailer and sat down next to him, my legs hanging over the side of the trailer. He glanced at me and smirked.

"You're back. Jack didn't think you'd make it." He said with a bit of relief in his voice. He turned to look at me, his eyes scanning my face for a few seconds.

"It will take a lot more than this world to take me down," I said and he smiled, looking back out into the distance.

"We're leaving soon. Jack and Maggy have almost gotten the bags completely packed and loaded. Bev's down over by the creek with Cindy. Cindy's teaching her a few things. You should probably let Bev know your back. She missed you." He said in a flat voice, continuing to stare at the city. I thumbed the granola bar in my hand, feeling the crinkled plastic wrapper. I stood up, ready to get down and see Bev.

I stopped. I wondered when he last had food. I knew this was my last bar and I was still hungry, but Blake would need his strength later if anything were to happen. He was one of the strongest, aside from Jack. I sighed, knelt down and handed the bar to him. There was only a bite left, but it was a lot more than any of us had. He didn't fight me on it. He was as hungry as I was.

"We need to go back into the city," I said and he just about dropped the bar.

"Not a chance. We need to stay outside the city. It's way too dangerous in town, especially this close to nightfall." He said, and I shook my head. I looked at the horizon, the sun was halfway down the sky, continuing its descent which would soon light the other side of the world and begin a new day.

"We need to get more food. We're all practically starving on what little we have, and Cindy needs to keep her health up if she wants to keep that baby alive." I said then stood back up, adjusting the straps of my bag. I went back over to the ladder and climbed down, Blake following me. I walked towards the creek where Cindy and Bev sat talking quietly about how she needs to be aware of her surroundings. As soon as I was close enough to hear, Bev turned around and saw me. She got up and sprinted towards me.

I stopped and she slammed into me, hugging me as tight as she could. Her head was pressed into my chest and her arms were wrapped around my lower back. I took a few steps back to steady myself.

"Don't leave again." She said as she let go of me and stepped back, her gaze shifting past me.

I turned my head and looked over my shoulder to see where she was looking. Jack and Maggy were speaking between themselves as they headed our way. As they reached us, Jack straightened and looked me up and down.

"Nice to see you again. Next time, bring back food." He said, then looked at the darkening sky in the distance.

"We better get a move on. Don't want to be out here when the night hits." He said, then walked towards his truck parked on the other side of the campground near the entrance. I started to walk towards my car when Bev grabbed my hand.

"Can I come with you this time? The old man is weird and he smells." She said and I smiled. After losing her family, I had a hard time saying no to her. Plus, I understood that Jack tends to mutter on about something forever and it's hard to keep up with him. Maggy most of the time just nods her head along as he speaks, but I doubt she ever has a clue to what he's going on about.

"We all smell, Bev. You can come with us this time." I said, turning to Cindy.

"Cindy, are you fine going with Maggy and Jack again?" I said and she nodded, walking towards the truck. It was probably more comfortable for her in there anyway, more space for her to rest.

One of the rules we put in place is that we always stay in pairs of three no matter what. That is of course if everyone stays alive; in the case of which someone dies, we decided to discuss the matter if it comes to that. I grabbed all of our bags and placed them on the floor behind the passenger seat. Blake got in and closed his door, settling in. I sat down in the driver's seat, turning the engine over. Bev crawled into the backseat, putting her seatbelt on and clicking it into place.

Jack pulled away and I followed closely behind as we pulled out onto the highway, leading farther away from the city.