Chapter 2 - Silver Lining

"I'd like to introduce an extraordinary young lady. This year's valedictorian, please welcome, Gwen Stacy."

I was so proud watching Gwen walk up on stage to deliver her speech. She'd been through so much these last few months and she deserved her shining moment more than any other. I only wish the Captain had been here to see it. A massive grin spread across my face as she began. She'd been so nervous. I lost count of the time we'd spent going over it, changing lines here and there. This speech had become a joint project, and I was so happy that she got to read out the final product.

"COME ON GWEN." I couldn't help calling out in pride, earning a roll of the eyes from the lady of the moment.

"Good morning esteemed faculty and families of my fellow graduates. It's an honour to be standing up here today. I know that we all think we're immortal, we're supposed to feel that way, we're graduating. The future is and should be bright, but, like our brief four years in high school, what makes life valuable is that it doesn't last forever. What makes it precious is that it ends. I know that now more than ever. And I say it today of all days to remind us that time is luck. So don't waste it living someone else's life, make yours count for something. Fight for what matters to you, no matter what. Because even if you fall short, what better way is there to live?"

You could hear a pin drop. Each person there was gripped to every single word. The heart of it was that you shouldn't take life for granted. Live it to the full and live it for you. What makes you happy? What matters?

Thinking over it all in my head, as Gwen took a deep breath before continuing, I started to mentally ask those questions of myself. What mattered to me? What made me happy? Do you know what? I wasn't so sure anymore. I needed a sign.

"It's easy to feel hopeful on a beautiful day like today, but there will be dark days ahead of us too. There will be days where you feel all alone, and that's when hope is needed most.
No matter how buried it gets or how lost you feel, you must promise me that you will hold on to hope. Keep it alive. We have to be greater than what we suffer. My wish for you is to become hope. People need that. And even if we fail, what better way is there to live?

As we look around here today at all the people who helped make us who we are, I know it feels like we're saying goodbye. But we will carry a piece of each other into everything we do next. To remind us of who we are, and of we are meant to be. I've had a great 4 years with you. I'll miss you all very much."

I'd never been prouder of anyone in my entire life. Well apart from when Pete saved that little boy on the bridge, and when Pete rescued the city from a mutant lizard hell bent on destroying us all, but you get what I mean.

The standing ovation and applause that Gwen received after her speech was unlike anything I'd heard or seen before. It was deafening and I couldn't be happier for her.

There was one thing missing though, one aspect that stopped the moment being completely perfect. Peter still wasn't there. I realised it half way through the second part of the speech when I'd turned my head to look at Gwen's family. I wanted to see the look on her Mum's face. It was the first time I've seen her truly smile since she lost her husband, the Captain. When I was turning back, I spotted Peter's empty chair again, a stark white in what was a blanket of blue. You couldn't miss it. It stood out like poop on snow. I know, crap analogy. No pun intended.

15 minutes had now passed and Pete still wasn't there. He told me 10 minutes tops. I don't know why it bothered me so much. I just knew that I wouldn't be happy until I could see him. I didn't want to graduate without him watching.

As the teachers were running through everybody's names to go up on stage and collect their certificates, I knew my turn was coming up soon. Luckily for me, they didn't do it in alphabetical order. If they had, me being Lauren Adams would have meant it would be over already.