chapter 9 - Tossed

She felt that her hard-edged side had gone soft.

She cleared her throat, but her eyes are fixed on him...trying to sense what he's thinking..

"Why are you doing this Enrique?"

But the guy looked at her even more tender...

"I don't know Devz. But I'm starting to feel like, I like you in a different way.”

Binawi nya ang tingin rito. Now, she's confused.

She takes a deep breath, maybe to keep her thoughts at work.

"Gusto mo ako?" naninimbang na tanong ng dalaga rito.

"Yeah. You are different...  " 

"You think so?"

"You are... Ahh! I know I speak of this too soon. " 

Devon sighs.

"Don't get too attach with the idea of my aunt and your father. Don't ever think that you have a duty or something towards me."

She speaks seriously. 

"No. It's not like that Devz. I just... " Huminga sya nang malalim. "Never mind. Don't mind me okay? I just want to know you more.. Why is it that other girls usually like to dress ang go out malling, o kaya nagpapamanicure at pedicure but you are here. In this, this very laidback place...doing laidback things... "

Does she sense amusement in his voice?

"Laidback things? What exactly do you mean by that?" she asked him eagerly.

"Laidback.. mellow things like these, farming, animal raising, cropping..." Enrique couldn't hide his fondness of her.

"Huh! So livelihood is now a laidback thing?" 

Tumaas ang kilay nito.

"So this is a kind of job for you? I knew it! You got so many plans in your pocket... for this place and for the people working for you.. I think (pause) that's amazing..."

Natawa na lang sya sa sinabi nito. And she rolled her eyes as a joke. At nagpatiuna nang naglakad.

Enrique nodded and followed her, smiling behind her back... Maybe for now, tama na munang kilalanin nila ang isa't isa. Enrique doesn't want to scare her. Maybe for now, it's right to let her know that he admires what she's doing and who she is.

Nakapagpaalam na si Enrique pero di pa rin mawala ang ngiti ni Devon na nakatanaw sa direksyon ng papaalis na sasakyan ni Enrique hanggang sa alikabok na lng ang natatanaw nya.. Nang mawala sa kanyang paningin ang pick up ng binata, pumasok na rin si Devon sa loob ng bahay. Chineck nya ang cellphone. May message si Joric para sa kanya.

"Girl, something came up.

The Lady asked if possible daw ba na

lumuwas ka now? Call me agad when

you're here. I'll pick you up!"

Napaisip si Devon but she texted back anyway.

"Is it really necessary?"

Nagreply ulit si Joric.

"Importante sabi ng Lady."

She replied again.

"Then why didn't you call me instead?"

Joric texted again.

"Sorry! Nasa conference ako now.