chapter 5 - Grandma's Boy

Who among us grew with our grandparents? Usually, those who did were either spoiled or immature. They were loved by the oldies much more than their parents were. There's no way to know that feeling itself unless naging granny or granddad ka na rin. Yet what we know, any grandma's girl or boy is specially loved. It is a blessing! For James Vondutch, hmmm, let's find out.

Helena: Well, well, well!

His lola was sitting in her favorite couch, watching an old opera show on DVD, while holding a glass of red wine. She stood gracefully sa pagdating ng apo.

James kissed his grandmother's forehead.

Helena: What a miracle my dear! Did you forget to look at your watch? It's still 8 o'clock in the evening. The night is young.

She's surprised to see her grandson coming home at this hour. Hindi pinansin ni James ang sinabi ng lola. Rather, he picked a glass and pour redwine on it as well. Then he sat down on the other couch. Umupo ulit si Helena at pinakiramdaman ang apo.

Helena: Are you okay? How was your first day at the office?

The image of Devon quickly flashes on his mind. Her beautiful face despite her irritability towards him... Her inattention of him despite his formidable and handsome presence... Her air of confidence which makes her very attractive in his sight... His irritability that she's ignoring him... Yeah! He was dumped on the phone by his girlfriend but how come her girlfriend of a year never crossed his mind right after he met Devon. 

James: It was okay. I sat there reading the whole day.

Helena: Oh! You didn't like that?

James: It was boring lola. I should have done something more.

Helena: Well, they said you did visit all the departments. And you called each of the head in your office. 

James: Just when I had questions to ask.

Helena: That's a good start. 

James: I didn't even see you there.

Helena: I was busy too. 

James: Your staff you mean.

Helena laughs amusingly...

Helena: Okay, they are busy. Are you happy now?

James smiled. Hearing her lola laugh that way is as precious as gold. He knows there was big reason for it.

James: You seem happy today?

Helena: I am. Dahil umuwi ka nang maaga. So if you want me to be happy, come home early... well, unless you're work-related busy, it's okay to come home late...

She laughs again.

Naiiling na lang si James. Saka napadako ang tingin nya sa pinapanood ng lola.

James: You never get of tired of watching that. 

Helena: Just as I never get tired of you.

Tumingin si James sa lola. Her lola is looking at him fondly... That look on his graduation... That look when he gave her a bouquet of tulips on her 50th wedding anniversary. Even if his lolo died, she still celebrates their wedding anniversary annualy. A tough woman CEO but actually a romantic and faithful wife.

Tumayo si James at umupo ito sa tabi ng lola nya. Her lola kissed his cheek. 

James: Do you miss lolo?

Sandaling natahimik si Helena...

Tumango sya.

James: What about my father?

Helena: Very much... And I remember him cuddling to me the way you do now.

Her voice cracks.

James: I'm sorry.

Helena: No my dear. You're the reason why I'm not sad at all. 

His lola is a tough woman. He would always look up to her. 

James: But are you happy?

James looks at his grandma's teary eyes.

Helena: I am... Because I have you. Right at the time I thought I'm so heartbroken for losing my husband and son, you came into my life... I couldn't complain more... You're all I've got now. And when you have own family and your own children, I have gained more than what I've lost. With that perspective, I am honestly happy.

James hugged his grandma. She's a pillar of strength. She's everything to him and no other can fill that place. 

Helena: So I want you to have many children, alright? 

James: Lola, I'm still young for that. 

Helena: Hey, I was only 20 when I conceived your father. And you're 23 now... Knowing you, I should be worried that there may be 1 if not two or three who are carrying your genes already. Oh crap! Tell me, there's no one yet. Otherwise, I will go crazy.

James burst in laughter.

James: Lola, you're an iron woman but you're also a woman of irony. A minute ago you were telling me to have many children, now you're being paranoid of the idea of me having many children... Seriously?

Kinurot ni Helena si James.

Helena: My point is, get married first before having children hindi yung kung kanino. Your genes are not like seeds that you need to scatter them anywhere. For righteousness' sake, stick to a one, fine, good woman hidi yung kani kanino ka nakikipagdate.

James: Well, I have a girlfriend. 

Helena: Oh stop. I don't like her. She's an embodiment of vanity and materialism. Oh, not that irritable Eritha please.

Tumayo ang lola nya and nagsalin ulit ng wine sa baso. She never liked Eritha at all. Kahit pa sa Germany pag dumadalaw ang lola nya, sinasabihan sya na wag magpakita si Eritha sa kanya. Right after ipakilala ni James si Eritha sa lola nya, sinabihan agad sya na ayaw nito sa babae. But he saw nothing wrong with her. She's a fashion designer so natural lang naman na maging fashionista... na mag ayos ng mga mamahalin at magagandang damit. She was clingy though. Kaya naman kahit ayaw ng lola nya, he kept his relationship with her total malayo naman ito sa lola nya. But she just broke up with hiim over the phone. And he's surprised because he didn't even care about it.

James: We just broke up today.

He casually said.

Helena: Good! That's a very wise decision and you're even wiser to cut her out of your life forever.

James: Lola, that's so mean of you.

Helena: What? I'm just telling the truth. Keep her out of your life and you'll be perfect. Nagtataka nga ako bakit ngayon lang kayo nagbreak. 

James: She broke up with me.

Helena: Oh,remind me to thank her one of these days. 

Natatawa na lang si James. Then he stood.

James: Im going up. I'm going out with Enrique around 10.

Helena: JAMES RUSS VONDUTCH!!! 

Lalong natawa si James. He's fond of her calling his full name if she's mad.. Well, not really mad. 

Helena: I even thanked you for making that miracle of going home early but it was just a prank. I knew it. You stubborn boy... I knew it!

He can still hear his grandma's rhetoric...

James: I love you grandma!

He shouted.