Chapter 2

Annabeth Chase POV

"Percy..." I whisper, watching hooked to the television as the highlights of districts 12 through to 6 are shown. Half of the tributes have been chosen. And my boyfriend is one of them....or at least I think he's still my boyfriend...... Its be 5 years since the destruction of Camp Half-Blood, and we haven't talked to each other since.....do I even have the right to call him that anymore?

I watch as Effie Trinket calls out "And the demigod tribute for District 12 is..." She wiggles her hand around the empty bowl, picking up the envelope....the ONLY envelope...." PERSEUS JACKSON." Percy comes out right at the back of the crowd, and swaggers towards the stage hands in his pockets. I feel myself getting tingly and I think lovingly, "Seaweed Brain..." Looking at his messy hair and lopsided grin, so nothing has changed huh.

And then the human is chosen, a girl named "KATNISS EVERDEEN" to impersonate Effie's squeeky voice. But I already don't like her. The look she gives my boyfriend. The way she touches him with familiarity. They way she blushes as he stands in front of her. I want to kill her already.

I am from district one. There are over 30 demigods here.

But I do not care.

I will volunteer as tribute. And kill Katniss Everdeen. And get my boyfriend back!

Percy

So I have been chosen as tribute. Well that was obvious from the outset I guess. No one comes to say goodbye to me before I board the train and I am completely fine with that. Who cares. And it seems Katniss has the same Idea as I see her board the train, however there I'd noe a little mockingjay pin stuck to her jacket. Must be a good luck charm...

I contemplate what other demigods I could be pitted against. Clarisse LaRue a strong willed excellent Aries cabin fighter (don't tell her I said that or I will never hear the end of it), maybe one of the Stoll twins, Connor and Travis, for Poseidon's sake I hope its not one of then trouble makers. It could be any number of my old friends.....and it could be Annabeth.....my girlfriend.....or possibly ex girlfriend now, it has been five years since we saw each other last after all.

I board the train and sit down opposite Katniss and Inspect her. She wears a plain white cotton T-Shirt with a dark black leather jacket over the top. Black leggings and Black boots. Her hair is tied back in some intrequate knot and she drums her fingers on the desk irritably. I simply glance out the window. God, is this the girl I have to look after?.... What a drag....

"So your the Poseidon guy, eh? Percy was it?" She pretends not to know my name all to well and acts very forthcoming, but I have my suspicions she's just putting on a brave face.

"Mhm, and your Katniss Everdeen." I respond bluntly, not making eye contact so I come across as uncaring.

"Well I hope your strong. This is going to be a tough Quell." She says.

'Yeah." I reply, happy for the excuse to look over at the door as we see a young woman stride towards us, who can be none other than our mentor.

"Hello, my name is Poppy Jones, and I am the mentor tasked with keeping your sorry asses alive. Not that you need any help of course, being a demigod" she winks at me, " but her on the other hand....Katniss was it?" I wouldn't give you anymore than a day without Percy in the arena.

Katniss starts to say something but I surprise her and myself by pipping up "Oi, don't knock her off quite yet. You are our mentor the one tasked with keeping our " Sorry Asses " alive. Show some respect yeah? You're meant to be helping us not decreasing our morale and increasing our anxiety!"

She looks at me, bewildered that I've just stuck up for Katniss, she probably has the impression us demigods just think about ourselves. She couldn't be any more wrong.

"Um.....anyway....." She exclaims "What can you both do?" Again she looks pointedly at Katniss but this time I say nothing.

Katniss fixes a hard glare on her "I can hunt. I'm good with a bow and arrow. And knives too, want me to show you?" She twirls the table knife on her hand and looks at Poppy menacingly.

Poppy simply glares at her and moves on to me "And what about you honey?" Trying to soften me up.

I give her an uncaring glance and simply say "I'm the son of Poseidon. What do you think I can do? Control fire? Oh my God Its not like Poseidon Is a WATER god or anything. I totally don't have the power to control water"

"Okay no need to get snappy" She glares at me.

"Don't ask stupid questions then. I can control water. I'm skilled with swords and tridents. I can talk to horses and fish and I have had loads of Greek warrior training. Plus you forget I'm guaranteed to know some people in the arena. I'll be fine." I smirk.

"Well here is the only advice I have for you. Stay alive. You should be fine for water clearly. I would suggest joining a team for the first few days. But don't get attached by old bonds or you'll get stabbed in the back. I'll talk to you when we are at the Capitol." She swaggers out of the room and shuts the door behind her.

Katniss looks at me curiously, "Do you think we could get any help?"

I frown and think..."Probably. But unfortunately I think Poppy was right. We would just get stabbed in the back."

She sighs, "So much for that idea then...good job roasting Poppy though...thanks" She smiles at me.

"Not a problem" I mutter and turn away to look out of the window, not really listening, and not really caring.

Poppy pokes her head through the door again "Percy, you should hear this, the demigod from district one....she volunteered. Her name is Annabeth Chase"

I look away, stunned, I hoped this wouldn't be the case. But evidently it is.

Katniss reached her hand out to touch mine but draws back as she sees my upset expression. "You know her.....don't you..... She's someone special to you..."

I get up and walk to my quarters silently crying, Katniss sighs and Poppy slides back through the door.

The sad thing is?

I am already working myself up to the fact I will have to kill Annabeth.