Being a Vampire's Mate

Halyn (Hay-len) ------------->

Legend has it that when a shapeshifter looks into the eyes of their true mate, they will instantly know it. I'm scared because the idea of having a mate that will be dedicated and protective of me seems overwhelming to me. I really don't like to let anyone in because I always get hurt in the end. 

I've been living on my own for about three years. I left home when I was sixteen, leaving a home of abuse, both verbal and physical. The pack didn't care what happen, it wasn't the most organized pack in the US. When I escaped, I moved from the small town in Mississippi to Texas. I went to high school in Texas, focusing on my grades. I got a job waitressing at a local restaurant and made enough to rent a small apartment. It wasn't luxurious but it was good enough.

After high school, I went to the state university. I have been studying Biology for about a year and a half. My life was pretty boring because I had no social life. I went to class, had something to eat at the cafeteria and went back to my apartment. Just so I didn't go insane, I let my wolf out about two times a week. I wasn't exactly happy about being lonely but it was the safest way.

Today was no different than any other day. I had just left my Health 102 class, heading for the cafeteria to eat lunch. I read that they were having baked chicken and rice, my favorite.

It was a little cold out, even with my heated body, the cold winter air hit me a little. All the people around, joking and laughing with each other. They looked like they were having fun. It was close to Christmas break where we will be out for two weeks. Another holiday spent alone. I wasn't paying attention to where I was going because I bumped into something solid

"Um, I'm sorry. I-I wasn't looking where I was going." I said with my head down. Curse my shyness. I couldn't help getting flustered. There was something off about the person. I looked up to see who it was. A handsome, well built gut stood before me. My eyes kept traveling up his body, making my way to his face. He had a chiseled jaw but what made me lose my train of thought were his eyes. Forest green eyes surrounded by thick, dark eyelashes. This could not be happening. He couldn't be my mate. He didn't smell like a shifter but I couldn't ignore the connection.

"Can you stop staring, it's rude." He simply stated with a glare. His rudeness caught me off guard.

"S-sorry, excuse me." I kept my head down and walked around him. I didn't want to hang around unwanted. As I was walking away, I could feel his eyes on me but I didn't dare turn around. Mate or not, there is something wrong with him. He smelt like a...a vampire!

****************************************************♥***********************************************

Hope you enjoyed the story! Vote and Comment :D