Chapter 4

Why did I give him my number? I regret acting like that? I have never acted in such a way. Now he might actually call me. 'Might'? I know he will call and that's not in my best interest right now. When he calls, I won't answer. Sounds like a plan. I walk to my studio apartment, deciding on what to do when I get there.

I could watch t.v. until I get ready for bed or I could start a new book. Aside from my passion of health and medicine, I like to write books. I pull my keys out of my purse and unlock the door to my safe haven. One day, I promise myself I won't be so closed off, you know make some new friends. 

When I walk through the door, I throw my bag on the floor and place my laptop bag on the counter that separates the living room from the kitchen. I walk to my room to strip off today's clothes. As I'm walk in, there on my bed is Jared. Startled, I jump back, hitting my head on the door frame.

"Ouch!" I held the back of my head.

"Are you ok?" Jared said, jumping off my bed.

"It's nothing. Why are you here? In my apartment?"

"I got a feeling and I followed it. It led me to your apartment. I thought since we are mates, I can pop up whenever I want." He said with a smile. 

"About us being mates and all, I don't think it's going to work." I said in a rush. The pain in his face didn't go unnoticed but it was better for the both of us.

"Why would you say that? We just met today and you don't want to at least try? Now I sound like a female." He was sounding like a female but I won't mention it.

"I'm sorry. I knew I wouldn't be good at this. Can we try as friends first? Maybe I can warm up to the idea of mates?" I said with a half smile. I would at least try even though it is all too foreign for me. I wouldn't want to hurt him and leave him to a life of misery. 

"Friends then. I heard friends change in front of each other. Let's start now!" Pervert!

"I haven't known you for even a day and you already want to see me naked. What a pervert." I chuckled. I haven't had a friend before. It's nice to joke around with someone.

"I like to get right to the point. So, you live here all alone?"

"Yeah. I decided to go against the roommate experience. I prefer my alone time." I replied honestly. Maybe it was because we were mates or because he is the first person I've had a conversation with but it seems real easy to be honest with him.

"Well, with me around, I'm going to bug you endlessly. How about we do something friendly, like going to get something to eat?" That sound like good plan. I need to be more outgoing and friendly anyway.

"Alright but I have to warn you, I'm not good at these kinds of things. Where are we going?" Genuinely curious.

"I don't know about this town. I'm kind of new to town. You can be my tour guide for today." 

"Can I change? These were my clothes that I wore to class this morning." He nodded his head but made himself more comfortable on my bed. I put my hand on my hip and raised my eyebrow. Did he really think I was going to change in front of him.

"Excuse me Jared, the sooner you get out the room, the sooner we can get going." Stating the obvious. It's funny that I can just joke around with him already and I just met him.

"Okay, but just this one time." He said getting up and leaving the room. I may want to be friends but I still wanted to look really nice. I decided on a black long sleeve v-neck with floral print harem pants. I slipped into my black ballet flats and threw on a scarf. I checked the mirror and was pleased with my appearance. I walked out of the room into the living room and see Jared going through my refrigerator. He thinks he is at home.

"What do you think you are doing?" I said staring at his back side. He stood up straight, throwing a grape into his mouth. I stared at him with disbelief. Grapes are my favorite thing to eat and he had the nerve to eat my grapes.

"We just met and all but there is one thing you need to know." I said with a serious tone. He was standing there with an innocent look upon his face.

"What?" He said, almost muffled by the mouth full grapes.

"Never. Eat. My. Grapes. Ever." I was serious about my grapes.

"Sorry Ms. Grape Woman. Let's go before it gets pretty late." He said not taking me serious at all. He will see one day soon. I grabbed my purse and we left.