Epilouge

The smell of  red velvet cake baking wafted through the house as I puttered around getting ready for my daughters' birthday. They were actually turning eighteen, where has all the time gone? It seems as if yesterday they were taking their first steps. The timer went off and I rushed to the oven to take out the sheet cake. Setting it on the counter to cool, I went went over to the stove top where the burgers, where marinating, to cook them. In one hour everyone will be here for the party. Feeling rather lonely, I decided to go the computer and turn on the radio to listen to some music. Finding the oldies station, I smiled to myself and swayed my hips to the King of Rock and Roll.

"Eighteen..." I muttered under my breath as I flipped burgers.

"I know! I am so excited for the party!" Cynthia walked into the kitchen and poked her head into the fridge.

"Don't eat too much, the party starts in an hour." I pointed the spatula at her.

"Don't worry." She laughed, pulling out a celery stick.

"Speaking of the party, where's your sister?"

"I don't know. Last time I saw her she was walking upstairs. She said something about taking a nap before the party." She crunched down on the vegetable.

"Alright. Mind helping finish up?" She shrugged as she chewed the rest of the celery.

"Sure."

"Okay, how about you finish with burgers while I work on the cake, and remember no peeking." 

"Then why would I be helping you in the kitchen?!" She laughed.

"Then start decorating the backyard. Didn't you want to hang the lanterns around the pool?"

"Yes! Bye mom, love you!" Cynthia kissed my cheek and ran out of the kitchen. As soon as the back door slammed shut, a familiar song filled the room.

"Oh, Honey Pie! I haven't heard this in ages." I went over to the radio and blasted the music. Just as I took the burgers off the stove, I heard screams coming from upstairs. Turning the heat off, I rushed up the stairs to Anna's room.

I flew the door open to find Anna sobbing uncontrollably on her bed while Paul crooned in the background. Did she have a nightmare?

"Anna, Anna honey, what's wrong?" I looked at her frantically, waiting for her to answer. All she did is hold out a small box. I opened it and saw a beautiful rose gold engagement ring. 

Will the wind that blew her boat

Across the sea

Kindly send her sailing back to me

Honey pie you are making me crazy

I'm in love but I'm lazy

So won't you please come home...