Chapter Twenty-Eight

Chapter Twenty-Eight: 

"Y-yes," Nahoko hesitated. "A-Amur. He's our uncle." 

"And your mother... her name is Atha, yes?" 

"Um, yes. I think that's her name." 

The leopard's eyes narrowed. "Take me to her now." 

"What? Why?" 

"Just do it." 

"No!" 

The leopard flattened his ears. "Fine then. If I can't see her, then send her a message. You, with the reddish fur, tell her that her love is alive, bit is sick with heartache. And you, the small one, you tell her that Ares remembers her, and sends his Cariteunn." 

Nahoko's face was screwed up with confusion. "What does that word mean?" 

"That matters not. Just go. Give her the messages." 

The cubs nodded dutifully and set off.

-----

"Mom! Mom!" Their calls echoed throughout the temple. 

Atha's light orange figure appeared like a raging fire as she and Amur raced over. They were followed by a slower, raggety orange blob, a small cloud-coloured blob, and an equally small light orange blob. 

"Where in the world have you been?" Atha exclaimed with fear in her eyes. 

"What if you met a strange male? Or even a leopard or a pack of dholes?" Amur growled loudly. 

"We-we're sorry," Nahoko noticed Flicker trembling as she cowered behind him. "I got lost," he admitted. "Flicker came looking for me." 

Atha's eyes softened. 

"Oh, Mum! We forgot to tell you something!" Flicker exclaimed. "We did meet a leopard! And he knew you! He had a message for you!" 

"Yeah!" Her brother nodded enthusiastically. "He said, 'your love is alive, but is really sick with headaches!'" 

"He told me to tell you something, too!" Flicker began. "He said, erm, that, uh, oh yeah! He said that Aero remembers you, and he sends his chameleon!" 

Atha laughed. "Ares!" She desiphered gleefully. "Where is he?" 

"Um, I think, uh-" 

"Atha!" 

They all looked to the temple's entrance. There, standing at the mouth of the stone structure, was the leopard. His eyes were wide and his spotted fur was rain-soaked and clinging to his flesh. 

"Atha!" He called again. 

Atha gasped.