Chapter 4

"He's not in his office."

Javiera slowed her pace as she walked down the hall that led to Matteo's office. Davide smile, raising his brows playfully as he watched her walk by.

"I know- I'm going to wait in there. He's expecting me." Javiera said, tossing her long hair back as she spoke.

"Want me to keep you company?" Davide said with a grin. Javi laughed.

"Come on, Kid, you know better." Javi said, turning to walk away. She'd known Davide all his life but it was only in recent years that they actually started interaction. Matteo was still very much the Don and guy in charge and so, until otherwise stated, she was loyal only to him.

"When are you going to take me up on dinner, Javi? Call me, you know my number!" he said but Javi kept walking. It was amusing, as soon as the boy was old enough to be interested in those types of things, he'd started asking her out but it was just a joke. There were few people in the office who ever really tried talking to her and she didn't try to avoid Davide too much, after all, he was going to be Don someday.

It was a half hour later that she heard the door to the office click and stood up to greet Matteo.

"Javi- How are you?" He said, extending his hand. Javi smiled and took it, bowing her head slightly.

"Pretty good Mr. Peroni. How is the family?" She asked with a grin. Matteo chuckled. He'd asked her to call him Matteo years ago but she got a kick out of it.

"Good. Vivi is always asking about you." He said, sitting. Javi was not really supposed to know anyone in la famiglia, but when Viviana had met her, she'd made it a point to get to know her.

"I'm happy to hear she's well. I sent her a postcard a few days ago but I'm not sure it will have arrived yet." Javi said. for someone like Javi it was hard to grow roots or make friend, still, she had taken such a liking to Viviana that she'd gotten into the habit of sending her postcards from wherever she was, which Vivi loved. Viviana in turn made sure that Matteo invited her to dinner, anytime she was in town.

"Did you see that scoundrel down the hall?" Matteo said, his eyes twinkling.

"Of course I did- or rather he saw me." Javi said smirking when she remembered Davide.

"That boy is..." Matteo began but Javi finished.

"A man who had demonstrated to be extremely efficient. Afraid he'll be taking over soon?" Javi said, teasing him.

"You kidding? I'm in my prime. I've got plenty of years left." Matteo said. Javi laughed- it seemed to be true. Matteo had gotten older but he seemed to be one of the lucky few who got better with age. He was more active now, took good care of himself and had gotten more handsome if possible.

"I believe you. I have something for you." Javi said, unzipping her jacket and taking out a leather box about the size of a book.

Matteo smiled and stood up to walk around the desk, extending his hand to take it.

"This is why you're my man." He said, making her laugh. Another joke from years before.

"I'm the best." She said and then stood.

"Anything new?" She asked, digging her hands in her pockets.

"Not at this time but we'll keep in touch. You seem... impatient." Matteo said.

"Not impatient but eager." Javi said.

"Of course. How long has it been?" Matteo asked.

"Almost a year." Javi said. Matteo looked ashamed.