Chapter 41

Georgina stood outside of the door that connected the shared bathroom with Vada's room. This was the first time she ever recalled Vada just completely shutting the doors like this.

She knew that Vada was upset with her and she really couldn't blame her- she had not been forthcoming about her life in Italy.

Everyone thought she was some fancy curator in Florence but Georgina had never been anything that anyone thought she was. She sighed, picking up her hand and gently knocking on the door.

"Vada? Are you in there?" She asked, smoothing her hair behind her ears. Every since she was 14 she had cut her hair short and worn it sleek around her ears with a headband. No one really questioned it, the look suited her and distinguished her from the more classical look of her mother. Now, as the ends reached down to her shoulders she felt strange and almost comical.

Georgina heard some commotion inside the room and then foot steps as Vada pulled the door open.

"What's going on?" She asked, soaked in sweat and dressed in tights.

"Rehearsing? It's late." Georgina said, looking at her wrist watch. Vada shrugged.

"I take it very seriously." Vada said.

"Well, can you spare a few minutes for me?" Georgina said.

Vada wanted to say no, slam the door and tell her to pack her bags and go back to Italy but instead, without much reason, she walked away from the open door with a nod.

"Sure." Vada said, picking up a towel, "But just a few."

"okay." Georgina said, closing the door behind her and moving to a chair that sat by Vada's vanity.

"So... what's up?" Vada asked, grabbing her leg and stretching.

"I want to talk to you about what happened last year." Georgina said. Vada stumbled and sighed.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Vada said. Georgina chuckled.

"I wish that was the case but you're not a dumb girl and you know exactly what I'm talking about." Georgina said.

"Maybe I'd rather not?" Vada asked.

"Can you just stop for a second? I need to know what happened. How did you get away?" Georgina asked. Vada put her hands on her hips.

"It's complicated." Vada said, not really wanting to talk.

"Why? I'm your sister- you always said you could tell me anything." Georgina interposed.

"Except it turns out you're a completely different person than I thought." Vada said.

"Why because I know about them?" Georgina said. "Because my life has made me aware that they exist?"

"Everyone knows those types of people exist, you just don't expect for your sister to know how they work. You scare me, George- you scare me." Vada said.

"I scare you?" Goergina asked.

"There's a side to you I never expected... I've seen what they do. Tell me, George- how many people have you hurt?" Vada asked.

Georgina was still, her face blank.

"What did you see?" Georgina asked. Vada shook her head.

"It doesn't matter. I never want to see anything like that again." Vada said. "Nor do I want anything to do with people like that."

"You think I do things like that? Vada, I've never hurt anyone." Georgina said. "Not like that."

Vada stared at her sister.