Chapter 53

"Joe." Vada said in a low voice. "Please don't do this right now. If Matteo hasn't come over it's because he esteems your father. Just... Go sit down, have a drink and I promise we can talk another night."

Joe was quiet and looked like he was about to relent but a hand on his shoulder, caught them both off guard.

"Joe- How are you?" Davide said without looking at the woman beside them.

Joe looked up at Davide in surprise, unsure of what to do.

"I'm good- Just saying hello to Nicky... and you?" Joe said, trying to sound more calm.

"I'm good too- I'm here with my friends from earlier." Davide said but his voice slowed down on the last few words. "Nicky?"

Davide's eyes shifted to Vada who was slowly backing away as if she would disappear to the backroom.

----

Matteo watched from across the bar as Davide approached Joe Carangi.

He frowned, wondering when it was the boy got here that Matteo hadn't noticed but he shook his head. Whatever the case, it was what Vada had wanted from the beginning.

When Matteo heard that a masked girl had been dancing, he was furious. He'd specifically told her she was not going to dance and she had gone and disobeyed him deliberately. He'd come here tonight with the intention of picking Vada up and driving her home to her parents.

Still, now as he watched Davide deal with the situation with Joe Carangi, he only hoped his son would be tactful enough not to cause a scene.

---

"Hello Davide." Vada said with a faint and obviously nervous smile. This was not the way she had pictured this whole thing happening and by the look on Davide's face, it was obvious he had no idea she was here.

"Davide- you know Nicky?" Joe asked, making Davide turn towards him and stare for a second. Davide nodded, snapping out of his stupor.

"Of course, she works for us." Davide said with a nod. "Nicky- meet me in the office in five. Come on Joe, I'll get you a drink."

Matteo sighed as he watched Davide walk away from Vada and towards a table to his right.

"Good boy." He mumbled but then his jaw dropped open a he noticed the two men waiting for Davide. "You idiot."

"Joe- good to see you." Matt said, shaking his hand. Matt and Nick had not missed the little scene in the back of the club- something had happened and they wagered it had to do with the woman that Joe had been gushing about at lunch.

Nick looked at Matt before his eyes darted back towards the bar but he was caught off guard when he saw Matteo Peroni, in the flesh, standing Next to him.

"I can't believe my eyes." Matteo said, trying to sound casual.

"Neither can I." Davide said, making his father turn to look at him. Davide frowned at Matteo before turning back to the men at the table.

"It's the enigmatic Carlton brothers- come to visit us."Davide said to his father raising a brow.

"I can see that- how are you two doing?" Matteo said, shaking their hands.

"We're good." Nick said with a smile. "In town on business and decided to drop in on Davide."

"How nice- Davide, I would have though you would taken our guests to a much nicer spot." Matteo said, his lips in a tight line but Davide smiled and shrugged.

"Come now, everyone knows St. Vincent's is top notch." Davide replied. Matteo didn't miss the tone in his voice- Davide was furious at finding Vada here.