Family

Hi lovely people! How are you ? I hope you're fine.

This chapter isn't about me and my famil, what we do together and things like this. This chapter is about my family and a part of my personality: my sexuality and my gender. My mom and my dad have different ideas about these topics: my mom is like "I respect somebody sexuality, but just if they don't share it with me. If somebody is gay he must be gay in his own house". How can somebody be gay just in his/her/their house?  They look super straight all day, then they come home there are rainbows everywhere? My father is more open about not being heterosexual, once he said to me "If somebody is in love and happy there isn't any problem". My parents think I am bisexual because once they read my secret diary where I wrote that I liked a girl and I thought I was bisexual. At that time I was pretty sure I was bi. My father went to the point pretty fast, but my mom still thinks I will marry  an handsome man. I do not identify as bisexual anymore, but as polysexual. This isn't the definitive label, and maybe I don't even want to be labeled. And then there's my gender identity... I identify as nonbinary and I live in a very small town where almost everyone is Catholic. Everybody knows what "transgender" means, but nobody has ever met one and when they talk about queer topic is usually because they wanna laugh. One fact: in Italy there's no such thing as nonbinary genders. I don't mean that there isn't any nonbinary person, but we don't have representation at all. All my family is Catholic exept for me, and my relatives and parents are also pretty conservative. Once I told them that my name isn't the one they gave me at birth, and they started making fun of me. My mom, my dad and my brother laughed me for two week than they told me "Don't be an idiot and don't tell this to anyone or they will make fun of you". Funny fact: my family members were they only ones who didn't take me seriously. In fact I explained to some of my friends and classmates that I didn't want to be called with my birth name anymore and my name was Andrea. They were supportive and careful about my name and I was very happy and thankful. Until when my mother has told them to stop because "I am a girl and nothing else" (she said these words). My mother: the one who always tells me I can count on her because she is always loving and supportive. A message for every parent: if you child is gay, bisexual, pansexual, asexual, trans, nonbinary, genderfluid, whatever, trying to suppress their identity won't make them heterosexual and/or cisgender, you will just make them feel worse. Sometimes  it is hard to accept somebody gender and sexuality, but if you do your best to be respectful everything will be easier for you and for them.