Prologue

Author's Note: This story has an unusual origin. After a rpg forum stopped working and left the compilation of ideas from several young minds without a conclusion, I, one of the participants, recalled the posts before the forum could be deleted and noticed its potential. However, there was a lot of work to be done in order to put the ideas in proper use. Modifications were made, details were added or deleted, characters changed and I tried my best to shape the rough edges to find its fine core.

I hope you all enjoy this experiment.

It was a moonless night yet the city was bursting with life. The people absorbed by their daily routines and lives in the agitated city of Tokyo usually forget their primal fear of the dark. The artificial lights constantly bathed the citizens, keeping them safe and unaware of the shadows. Some would say all that light was also a desperate and silly attempt to make their days longer since twenty-four hours was never enough.

Even the silent and calmer suburbs wouldn't notice that it was a new moon. Inside their comfy and warm homes, after the steaming dinner was served, they would go to bed and sleep soundly. The feelings of safety and stability were taken for granted by so many people, especially the children.

In one house on the outskirts of Tokyo lived a small family: a Japanese couple and their seven year old daughter. Ayame, the young girl who never had any worries in her life larger than when dinner was going to be served, noticed that night that her parents were anxious about something. They would smile at her and pretend like it was nothing, but the next second they would jump at the sight of their own shadows.

At first Ayame thought it was funny and would laugh at them. Her father couldn't avoid thinking how similar the little girl was to her mother - with her big black eyes, small nose and long, silky black hair - and the sight of her laughing would calm his heart for a short moment. Nevertheless, their agitation continued until it wasn't as amusing to the daughter anymore. The atmosphere around the adults was so heavy that the girl imagined she saw storm clouds forming above their heads.

The child wanted to play with her parents now that they were done with work, but for once they ignored her. Instead they whispered with their heads together, as if they were planning something. The little girl's mood was soon growing foul when they seemed to finally reach an agreement. Her father went to the telephone to make a call while her mother retreated to the kitchen to prepare dinner. When they sat down at the family table things looked like they had returned to normal. Ayame was satisfied, until she was given some unexpected news.

"Tonight, you're going to Aunt Midori's house," her father told her.

"Me?" Ayame wasn't sure if he was talking to her or her mother.

"Yes, you're going to stay with her for a few days."

The girl appealed to her mother, "Why, Mama?"

"Because Mama and Papa are going on a trip for a few days, and we can't leave you alone at home."

This information was a little sudden, but Ayame smiled widely. "Oh! Can I play with the children there?"

"Of course you can, sweetheart." Her mother smiled, finding it funny that she was asking permission. "Be nice with the children and remember that Aunt Midori is very busy, so be a good girl and don't get in her way, okay?

The mood improved for a short while, and the little girl's energetic enthusiasm almost made her parents forget their worries.

Almost.

They were cleaning the dishes after the meal when her parents suddenly stopped what they were doing. The mother gasped and looked at her husband. "It's too soon!"