And The Danger Set Them Together

Coalt and Ayame got lost for a while in the garden while the rest of the group was already back at the house peeling the peaches to eat. Although the two did not know it, someone was lurking behind them. A shadowy figure jumped from a tree and landed right onto Coalt's head.

It was Kairi.

She was in her small form, though with the two tails showing. She jumped down beside Ayame.

Coalt was startled for a moment, not knowing what had just hit him in the head. But then he saw the small black cat, and yelled at it, "What is your problem?"

Ayame couldn't help but laugh. Kairi had surprised her as well.

"Oh, I get it. Your prank was to act like a nice girl to get closer to me, and then attack me when my back is turned. Very nice." The boy huffed. The girl wasn't sure if he was joking or serious.

"Of course not. Kairi just does that to people she doesn't like; she did the same with Lukas...a few times," Ayame tried to explain.

"Does she like anyone else other than you?"

"Even if it sounds impossible, yes, she does. And sorry for that. I told her many times to not be rude with others, but it's part of the nature of a nekomata."

"She is your pet; you should keep stricter rules on her," Coalt suggested, but Ayame was already shaking her head.

"She is my partner, but she's not actually mine. She has free-will. I don't have much control over her." It was hard to explain such a relationship, but it wasn't a simple owner-pet situation. Kairi meant more to Ayame than that, like a friend or her family.

They both looked up when Kairi's attitude suddenly changed, and she began transforming into her original form. Something was wrong.

"Kairi?" Ayame looked at the nekomata in confusion.

"Look out! I feel... I feel him!"

On hearing Kairi's words, Ayame turned pale.

"What is going on?" Coalt asked, annoyed at the sudden feeling of urgency - like before the battle yesterday, but now it felt even stronger.

"It's just a meeting of old friends," a voice said behind the brunette.

The boy didn't have time to react as the presence behind hit him over the head with the hilt of a sword. The boy fell on the ground, his head throbbing. He tried to recover his stance but he felt a strong vertigo, forcing him to stay on the ground for a few more seconds. All he could do was look up and watch the man heading towards Ayame. The girl's face was white and she stood frozen in fear while Kairi stood between them, hissing loudly.

"I'm sorry. Did I disturb your peaceful moment?" the mysterious man's voice echoed with a sarcastic tone.

"What do you want?" Ayame snapped, finally finding her voice.

"You know what I want. You must clearly remember when I paid your parents a visit. It was the last time you saw them, right?" The man grinned as he savored the fear in Ayame's face.

"Shut up, Kira!" Kairi sent blue flames at him, but the man disappeared before the flames could make contact.

"How rude," his voice echoed from a tree. Kairi didn't lose time and charged at it with her claws extended, but she found no one behind it. "You had always been a naughty cat; giving me more trouble than I needed." Kairi heard the voice coming from above her and she jumped at the foliage. Meanwhile, Ayame ran to Coalt and helped him stand up.