One Night In The Hospital

Shortly after Luna and Risa returned to their room and lay down in their beds, Yuko's eyes fluttered open. She sat straight up and gasped for breath, frightening the two girls.

"Arika!" Yuko caught her breath and looked around wildly. She noticed the girls looking startled at her sudden yell. She didn't bother with their presence and turned to her other side, where Arika was sleeping. Her face took on a pained expression at the sight of the girl covered with bruises and bandages.

"Yuko, hey, we got back in time. We are all in the hospital and Arika will recover." Luna tried to say something nice to the woman.

"We got back in time? No, we didn't. The fact that I let Arika be kidnapped in the first place is shameful." Yuko had broken a promise to herself. Her only job was to keep the girl safe, and she had failed miserably.

"I'm so sorry about this. It was our fault as well." Luna felt embarrassed. They had been overconfident, allowed themselves to be lulled into a false sense of security, and the enemy made their move. "We were nothing more than pawns there. Everything would have ended worse if you hadn't appeared, Yuko. You saved us all."

However, her words seemed to have the opposite effect on the woman, "Don't praise me in an attempt to get closer to me. My only business is with Arika. I have little interest in your kamika group."

"I know. At least you've shown to love Arika as if she were your own child." Luna's words spooked the woman, as if it wasn't meant to be that way. Risa stayed quiet throughout the conversation, because she didn't know what to say. Deep down, she envied Arika for having Yuko care so much about her.

However, Yuko would not concede to caring for her charge. "Tch, I'm in no way a motherly figure. Keeping Arika healthy and strong is my job, that's all there is to it." Luna found this odd. It was like Yuko was trying to convince herself that she didn't care for Arika. "After she recovers, it'll soon be..." She couldn't finish her sentence. She was visibly in conflict with something Luna and Risa couldn't figure out.

"What is going on, Yuko-san?"

Yuko snapped out of it when she finally made up her mind. "I...I'm okay. Just tired after all this." She leaned her head on her hands and breathed deeply before regaining her composure. She gave a brief glance at Arika before leaning back and closing her eyes. "I'm fine. I got a bit over-emotional after using so much energy. Turn off the light and let's sleep," she said, turning around with her back to the other two.

Luna and Risa shrugged. They didn't understand what was going on inside Yuko's mind. Maybe she was mad; they didn't want to anger her, so they turned off the light and let the night drift.

It was midnight already and everybody was sleeping, all except for Coalt. He was too agitated to sleep since his mind was still burning with the hallucinations. He wasn't sure if he was still under its effect or if it was his own brain turning against him. At night, he thought he would finally be free from the thoughts and might be able to sleep, but it was the opposite; they only grew stronger with the silence.

He sat up and looked at Jasmet. She seemed to be in a deep sleep and was looking much better after she had told them her fear. Coalt thought for a moment. He had only told half of his fears, and the one he kept a secret was the one that wouldn't leave him in peace.

Not feeling well, he stood up and went to the window for some fresh air. He made as little noise as possible so as to not wake anyone up. Once at the window, he pushed it open lightly, taking care that it didn't squeak. He breathed in the fresh air deeply and gazed at the city lights.